Currently reading:
40A mcb buzing/humming

Discuss 40A mcb buzing/humming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Hi, not as interesting as the heating engineer/plumbing thread, sorry but.

i've recently installed a new CCU for my dear old mother, however on a recent visit to raid the fridge
they said whenever they have a shower there's a buzing/humming coming from the CCU. i checked the connections etc, but cant find anything.
Any thoughts what this could be?:confused5:

as lenny said, and check to make sure you've not got the busbar behind the MCB terminal

sorry yea its only an 8.5kw, on a10mm cable, the breaker is cheap (niglon), done job for free as its the old dear.
did check connections both ends and buss bar side, but didnt think to check the bar hadnt gone behind the terminal, ill check that.

sorry yea its only an 8.5kw, on a10mm cable, the breaker is cheap (niglon), done job for free as its the old dear.
did check connections both ends and buss bar side, but didnt think to check the bar hadnt gone behind the terminal, ill check that.

I'd check it rather quickly....with a heavy load it wont take long to cook if the connection isnt good.

I'd never buy a cheap CU again. Only one I ever installed the main switch melted (no neautral continuity at all when on) and cooked 5 of the RCBO's. Never again. I'd maybe suggest getting a different brand 40a MCB to replace the faulty one if you can find one to fit. Nuts to what the manufacturer sais.....ie "It's dangerous to replace our cheap shoddy MCB's with good quality ones"

MCBs and RCBOs contain mechanical parts. Normally the supply is a nice smooth 50 or 60Hz sine wave and the designer of the MCB/RCBO has ensured that the mechanical parts are not resonant at multiple and sub-multiples of the basic supply frequency. However, when fast switching electronics (e.g. dimmers and SMPS) are introduced the supply waveform can be distorted far from a sine wave and the harmonics that are generated on the fast rising and falling edges are not often related to the basic supply frequency, this can in some unfortunate cases resonate the MCB/RCBO mechanical mechanism causing an intense humming or buzzing noise. Often all you can do in such circumstance is change the protective device, usually the manufacturing tolerances of the mechanical linkages result in a different natural frequency of resonance and the buzzing or humming is reduced to acceptable or even non-audible levels.

Reply to 40A mcb buzing/humming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock