Discuss 415v to 380v step down trafo in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
i have industrial washing machine originally from Italy which was installed in the UK with a step down trafo from 415v to 380v now the machine is to be installed in Ireland with line voltage of 400v. my question is do i still require the step down trafo, am aware of current and torque changes
thanks

Remove it and the nominal voltage
Hi
i have industrial washing machine originally from Italy which was installed in the UK with a step down trafo from 415v to 380v now the machine is to be installed in Ireland with line voltage of 400v. my question is do i still require the step down trafo, am aware of current and torque changes
thanks

If you remove it then the nominal applied voltage will be about 5% high.
Leave it and you will be about 4% low.
Both are within tolerance for 400V nominal but then the 400V is also subject to tolerance. Maybe more likely to be positive rather than negative

On balance, I'd be inclined to leave the transformer in and measure its output voltage when energised.

It would depend to be honest on the actual site voltage, like the UK, I suspect the nominal voltage is 400v but in reality it is 415v anyway so leave set up as is IMHO or check the actual voltage before connection at least to repeat what besoeker has already suggested.

Last edited:
The transformer might have additional taps you can choose from - 380, 400, 415 is not unusual.

rockrose

I agree with all advice given. As it has been fitted with a transformer someone must have assessed that there is an issue with voltage. Without seeing the actual machine, it is impossible to ascertain if that original assessment is correct. If I was moving this washing machine I would:

1. Check the actual voltage range of your current supply. It will be a range rather than a value. If you have access to a voltage analyzer then measure over the usual operating hours of the machine. If you only have access to a multimeter then measure the max, min and mean values over the same period. If your multimeter is not equipped with max/min recording then take a number of readings throughout the day.

2. In January measure the voltage range of supply in Ireland.

3. Assess if any corrective action is required.

Feel free to post your results, along with any manufactures specs on the washing machine.

Good luck

Reply to 415v to 380v step down trafo in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net