Discuss 6.0mm earthing conductor to MET on TNS in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marcus Vaughan

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello.
I am carrying out an inspection on a domestic TN-S system. First observation is that I can see 16.0mm earthing conductor fro CU to MET - but then is steps down to 6.0mm connecting to the supply cable.
This should be 16.0mm - shouldn't it? I am going by table 54.7 in the big yellow book.
Sorry if this has been asked before.....

Still not saying a word but how do you use the adiabatic equation when you don't know the fuse size/type at the service head.

I would use the Adiabatic on the worst case scenario say 100 amp fuse and also allow for other sizes.
Thing is most of the time depending on the actual fault current you need the let through energy from the manufacturer as the time is below the 0.1 second minimum given in bs7671
Often tho the 0.1 second is just used for time if fault current is over the max given in table.

Really the only time I've used the Adiabatic is when your disconnect time is closer to 5 seconds for fuses and then it's often required to use a bigger sized conductor

If anyone's still got the red copy of the 17th edition it has the data in for bs 1361 fuses as these are now replaced in yellow book with bs88

Last edited:
Hello.
I am carrying out an inspection on a domestic TN-S system. First observation is that I can see 16.0mm earthing conductor fro CU to MET - but then is steps down to 6.0mm connecting to the supply cable.
This should be 16.0mm - shouldn't it? I am going by table 54.7 in the big yellow book.
Sorry if this has been asked before.....

Minimum required size of an earthing conductor is 6mm.
You can't just fail it on the basis of table 54.7 because the designer may have calculated the size using the a diabetic equation.

Thanks for the responses. It's always good to get the reassurances.
Everything tested just fine - I was just initially alarmed when I saw it step down from 16mm to 6mm at the MET.
Every day is a school day!

Reply to 6.0mm earthing conductor to MET on TNS in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net