Discuss 63A supply required for flat any thoughts on in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BristolSpark

Hi

We have to install a 63A supply to a new consumer unit on a 2nd floor studio flat. The supply at present looks like it may have to feed from the switch on ground floor outside the property and up the wall before re-entering the 2nd floor studio flat.

Any thoughts how best to go about this.

SAW cable or trunking with 2 core and seprate earth. some advise and thoughts on this would be good.

Cheers

We were thinking 16mm 2 core SWA, use the armoured for cpc, clip it all up the side of the building.

The only thing is what about the standard consumer units, they not really designed for swa as they are plastic. Any thoughts on termination into the D/B.

We were thinking 16mm 2 core SWA, use the armoured for cpc, clip it all up the side of the building.

The only thing is what about the standard consumer units, they not really designed for swa as they are plastic. Any thoughts on termination into the D/B.

What about installing one of these flush next to the CU, right where the CU entry cutouts are:

You can find it by searching our forum here, electrical advice. And of course tiling advice, and uk tiling forum.

You can then terminate the swa into this and then run the cores up and through into the CU.

Last edited by a moderator:
make sure the |SWA is switch/fuse protected, and a good 16mm fly lead from the gland at the CU.

The client said the previous electrician on a different flat used the exisiting supply and just installed new consumer unit. But the cable looks like a 10mm rather than 16mm.

Also is there any restriction on the height of the consumer unit. ie.....may have to install board around 500mm off the floor. Cant see anything in the on-site guide.

Hi

We have to install a 63A supply to a new consumer unit on a 2nd floor studio flat. The supply at present looks like it may have to feed from the switch on ground floor outside the property and up the wall before re-entering the 2nd floor studio flat.

Any thoughts how best to go about this.

SAW cable or trunking with 2 core and seprate earth. some advise and thoughts on this would be good.

Cheers

How are you going to be able to support the single cores in the trunking with strain relieve?? You can't just have them hanging in the trunking!! I'd Use 3 core SWA cable, as my first choice too...

Yes sounds ok, but presentation will look awful. This D/B is gonna be on view lol...with a metal box in your face lol. need to find another way....

Hmm blocked from posting links wonder why?

go to screw fix and look for IP66 66 gland Kit 20mm

63 Amps seem high for a small apartment is there a big power shower or hot air heaters?

Hi There , Just read your thread on the 63amp supply. Yeah SWA 16mm 3 core would be a good option. What about a split concenteric cable as no glanding into the Cu.

Hi There , Just read your thread on the 63amp supply. Yeah SWA 16mm 3 core would be a good option. What about a split concenteric cable as no glanding into the Cu.

Yeah, but a real bitch to make that end off in a CU, and make a decent job of it. You'd really need a heatshrink crutch trouser to do that with any success!!

If this flat submain is fed from the flat below/adjacent i.e. no actual service head in 'your' flat and you will only have the CU in the flat in question you need a 25mm submain and a 16mm main earth/25mm SWA.

Reply to 63A supply required for flat any thoughts on in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net