Discuss 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baazab

-
Reaction score
hi avery1 i notice few new houses got 5a fused connection unit controlling bath room fans,my q how do they do it if you have 3core cable +earth (timer fan) i always used (3polefan isolater l1 l2 N).:dozey:

hi avery1 i notice few new houses got 5a fused connection unit controlling bath room fans,my q how do they do it if you have 3core cable +earth (timer fan) i always used (3polefan isolater l1 l2 N).:dozey:
You only need to fuse the permenant live, you still need a fan isolator though for maintenence

or the FCU could feed the bathroom light as well, so both would be fused.

Unless something has changed, then you are doing it right, and what you have seen is wrong, unless it is not a timer fan.

Cheers………….Howard.

You only need to fuse the permenant live, you still need a fan isolator though for maintenence

To stir up some debate ....... dont you have to 'fuse' all the live conductors to the fan? (the way Tel suggests does this!) and unless the manuf says so, where is there a requirement to fit a specific fan isolator? (setting aside good practise!)

So if you put a 3A fuse in the feed to the light, before the switch you can achieve DP isolation AND fusing down together. If you need RCD protection you simply use a RCDFCU. Simples

pls tell me if im wrong & this is how i do it if its bathroom timer fan or normal fan, 3core cable from the bathrom lighting circuit to 3pole fan isolater then from isolater to transformer out to the fan.

it's good practice to fit a fan isolator when there is no window to let in natural light to see when working on the fan. i assume that this came about before torches were invented. hold on though. torches were invented before bathroom fans. i'm confused .com. and my name is NOT brian. nor is it the messiah.

To stir up some debate ....... dont you have to 'fuse' all the live conductors to the fan? (the way Tel suggests does this!) and unless the manuf says so, where is there a requirement to fit a specific fan isolator? (setting aside good practise!)
Ooh i love a mass debate! There is no requirement unless the manufacturer specifies it, i rarely fit an fcu, just the tp fan isolator will do in my eyes. The fcu would only be needed for the permenant live as that is what runs the fan motor, the switch live is just to trigger it if its a timer fan that is! If its not a timer fan then just an fcu would do the job as there would be no permenant live anyway!

Ooh i love a mass debate! There is no requirement unless the manufacturer specifies it, i rarely fit an fcu, just the tp fan isolator will do in my eyes. The fcu would only be needed for the permenant live as that is what runs the fan motor, the switch live is just to trigger it if its a timer fan that is! If its not a timer fan then just an fcu would do the job as there would be no permenant live anyway!

Really - which fans do you fit?

Reply to 6a fan isolater or 5a fused connection unit for bathroom fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net