Discuss 6mm Aluminium Tails, DNO says no supply listed at the address in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all. Today I was invited to look at a friend's latest project, a town center workshop-----garage. He is planning on turning it into a furniture shop. He has had a 'handyman' in doing some work for him, including electrics. Apparently there was no fusebox at all and no lighting, sockets or other circuits whatsoever. This guy has fitted a new CU and started to wire lighting and sockets, made a right dog's dinner of it too. I noticed that the neutral tail coming from the ancient meter appears to be a 6mm (at most) aluminium conductor, the line is the same size but of copper. Also, the fuse carrier appears damaged as well as being an antique. They have been terminated into the new CU. I only had a few mins to look around, but my friend says he has been in touch with the DNO as well as his supplier for his shop next door and their is no record of a supply at all at the premises, even though it is live. He is tempted to just use it and get free electric.

The whole DNO side of this installation needs replacing. I am not overly happy with doing anything to the consumers side until it is all rectified. I have told him this and I think he is going to just leave what this guy has done in place (after all, it works doesn't it?). Which is entirely up to him. Am I being overly jobsworthish here. What would you guys do?

Give the DNO the serial number then they should be able to get the Mpan number and get their side of things sorted out. What were the tails connected into before the handyman connected them into the new db?

Give the DNO the serial number then they should be able to get the Mpan number and get their side of things sorted out. What were the tails connected into before the handyman connected them into the new db?

I honestly don't know. I don't even know if I am being told the truth to be honest.

Walk away and forget it.

That's what I would do.

Why isn't your friend using you for the electrics?

I think he thought I wouldn't have touched it, and he wants to still get free electric. I shall not be getting involved. Thanks chaps. ;)

I will NOT be judging you,pal,i too have friends who from time to time ask me the most outstanding of favours...One of whom,saved me bacon following a motobike accident 20 years ago...love 'im to bits and he would probably have to ask for help disposing of a cardinals body before me eyebrows raised...if he is a good pal,he'll let you walk away :shades_smile:

Reply to 6mm Aluminium Tails, DNO says no supply listed at the address in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock