Discuss £75 for a fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would 75 is fair, or even on the cheap side. Add your fuel, time including travelling, tax, scam registrations, van tax, liability insurance, advertising, your a business at the end of the day.

Sometimes it's just perception of cost. It sounds like you bill was reasonable so I'd just break it down for them. If you traveled 50 miles round trip I'd explain there's a travel charge included in the price to cover the vehicle expenses and your time for sitting on the road for an hour or more. Also explain the because it's not a working day you traveled home to home specifically for their call which makes it more expensive than during the week where the travel would effectively be split between several customers. Finally I wouldn't be afraid to point out that your rates are half of what they would have been charged by some of the national outfits.

Then ---- got evil and 2months later they paid me £40 out of goodwill. Didnt see point of going to court for £35.
I have a little annual event at the end of every year. All the clients that take the p1$$ or really rub me up the wrong way I book court dates as close to the Christmas holidays as possible and apply for summary judgments for any outstanding amounts. Last year out of four cases none of them were contested because their legal departments were on holiday, the previous year one out of seven contested and we still got the judgment anyway. Then on the second of january I instruct the Sheriff of the court to attach and remove 'goods to the value of' and starting with their office PC's, servers and laptops. This is obviously burning bridges but it's a small luxury I've come to enjoy every year, it's not even about the money, more about just making sure the wheel turns full circle some times.

At the time the story is set ICI were one of the biggest publicly quoted companies in the country if not the world.

Anyway, they owed my mate's company 20k ish, a drop in the ocean to them but a massive amount to him. His wife who doubled as his credit controller was getting the run around from the depot where he had done the work and this 20 grand was a huge problem, one that would probably have sunk him. I'd popped round to see him while I had a few minutes for a cuppa and he told me the sorry tale.
I picked up the phone to their Billingham depot and was given the run around just like his wife had been, I then asked for the name and phone number of their finance director which was given to me with wishes of the best of luck in speaking to him.
I rang and got through to a guy who I asked if he was the FD, was told no. Can you put me through to him I asked.
After speaking to maybe six people I got through to his secretary and was told that he did not take calls from creditors. Now knowing that ICI were on the brink of a new share issue I asked the secretary to tell the Fd that if he didn't speak to me he would have a winding up petition on his desk in the morning, about 30 seconds later he spoke to me and arranged a cheque to be sent by courier to my mate that day.
My mate's business survived and went on to get more business from ICI but never ever got the run around again.
And they all lived happily ever after

Reply to £75 for a fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock