Discuss A-Levels or not? work experience help and degree help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kerry

hi :)

i am 17 and i am a student and i have completed my 2330, 2382, 2393 and 2377. i am currently completing my work experience which shud last about 1 year.
I want to specialize in power distribution and transmission or design and i aim to start uni to get my bachelors in electrical engineering at 18-20 but most of the unis i have looked at require me to have at least 3 A-Levels including maths.
my employer has said i am not under contract and i can have any time i want off and he will just add more time on to the end so i get my full work experience.
i was wondering if i should ask to work only part time or weekends and college holidays so that i can get my A-Levels and still work or should i just give up and not get the A-Levels or go to uni and just keep working.

And by the way i am not considering giving up being an electrician as i want to use the qualifications to help fund my university fees and to one day have my own business.

thanks in advance for any help :)

in your situation i would do a BTEC National Certificate in Electrical/Electronic Engineering at a local college, this is A level equivalent and an acceptable university entry qualification and relevant to what you want to do, but you would need to work for a Distinction/Merit pattern in all modules. if you could squeeze in A level maths as well, you would be well prepared.

I don’t know if it still possible but some large companies used to offer a sponsorship/apprenticeship. You get to go to uni but you have contractual obligations to the company. It may be worth enquiring.

Reply to A-Levels or not? work experience help and degree help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net