Discuss A message to all Elecsa registered electricians!! A must read!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is a copy of an email that I sent today to Elecsa regarding their involvement with the now online Electrical Safety Register. Please have a read and then I implore you to send something similar!

To those of you who want to debate the wider argument surrounding Part P, however useless we think Part P currently is, no matter how much of a con we think it is, this is not the thread to do it, so I beg of you, please don't.

We are all being scammed by the scam that we joined so as to prevent ourselves being scammed by the other scam!!!!

To whomever it may concern,

I am writing today because I feel I must take a stand against the absolute shambles that is the new 'Electrical Safety Register'.

When I joined Elecsa back in early 2011, one of the main reasons I joined was because you didn't seem to be operating in a way that made it appear to the end customer as if you were the 'be all and end all' of regulation in this country. I was sick to death of the NICEIC essentially creating their own rules, for example; failing electricians on annual assesments for not complying with NIC codes of practice even though their work complied 100% with BS7671; promoting the idea that to get a 'proper' electrician, they have to be NIC registered, and my personal favourite; classing every electrician under their umbrella as a 'Domestic Installer' regardless or their level of competence or qualification, then classing them as 'Approved Contractors' if they were prepared to hand over some more cash!

I joined Elecsa because of the helpful nature of your staff, the professionalism of your assessors and the knowledge of your technical team. Most of all, I joined because Elecsa seemed to be there for the electrician too, and not just the customer.

Upon reading through the new Electrical Saftey Register today I am not so sure whether the reasons I joined Elecsa apply anymore. On the face of it I think it is a great idea however now I have seen the list of APPROVED ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS UNDER PART P OF THE BUILDING REGULATIONS I've noticed that there is a clear distinction between the NICs made up 'Domestic Installer' and 'Approved Contractor' schemes. This is their perogative, however what I detest is how I am now classifed as a 'Domestic Installer' under the Elecsa logo despite my extensive qualifications and experience. Most of all I detest that a made up NIC 'phrase' is what is being used to describe my business without regard to the fact that when I joined Elecsa, I was notified that I had become "Approved by Elecsa to operate under Part P of the Building Regulations".

The reason I am so disgusted by this is because a large portion of my work is within the commercial and industrial sectors, now my business is classified as a 'Domestic Installer' there is every likelyhood of future prospective commercial and industrial customers viewing this and not considering me as competent to carry out work other than in a domestic set up.

My suspicion is that you have handed over the reigns to either the ESC or the NIC with regards to setting up this register with absolutely no regard to how they may portray YOUR customers, ie. Elecsa registered contractors! Either way, this decision will more than likely affect my business.

Now the way I see it, you have two options available to resolve this issue. Option one is to have whoever created the Electrical Safety Register website reclassify every Elecsa contractor as 'Approved' as they should be. Option two is to create your own scheme, at no extra cost to the contractor, to classify them as either 'Domestic Installers' or 'Approved Contractors' based on their level of experience and qualifications. Obviously this would not be my first choice as quite simply, your are either approved to operate under Part P of the Building Regulations or you are not, it is that straight forward! There is no such thing as a 'Domestic Installer'.

If neither of these are implemented with a matter of great urgency, the only option I have available to me is to take a 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em' approach. Put clearly, If these changes are not made, I will be leaving Elecsa for good and re-joining the NIC.

I look forward to your response.

Napit here we go lol
Skelton im glad you have brought this to mine attention as when I first checked the site we were all just listed. I for one will be on the phone tomorrow a very unhappy customer regarding this merger.

Sorry to say this and I completely agreed regards the NICEIC and their wishy washy policies over approved contractors mainly their own rule that the QS must have his 2391 and 2 years experience I know of one company with no 2391 and another where QS was straight out of college and can't even do three phase but hey ho they let him in. the problem I think you face is for commercial work most want NICEIC Approved contractor status ESP. Local authorities and insurance companies, and anyone who knows you and your work won't care anyway

That is simply untrue. My Local Authority couldn't care less which scam scheme you're with, they jusyt want CHAS, and as for commercial customers, I have plenty, and I'm not NIC. The problem lies with Elecsa for allowing the NIC to get away with their propaganda. The more the other scam schemes let themselves be bent over by the NIC, the more contractors are going to end up leaving Elecsa and joining the NIC. The sooner they are all gone the better, but until that time, we should all be equal no matter which scheme we are with. I resent being labelled as a Domestic Installer when there is no such term in any regulation, act or otherwise!

Napit here we go lol
Skelton im glad you have brought this to mine attention as when I first checked the site we were all just listed. I for one will be on the phone tomorrow a very unhappy customer regarding this merger.
i dont think so...lol....or you will find yourself being cornered into taking the `napit2391`.....a useless bit of ar$e paper if ever there was one...lol...lol...

Last edited:
Sorry to say this and I completely agreed regards the NICEIC and their wishy washy policies over approved contractors mainly their own rule that the QS must have his 2391 and 2 years experience I know of one company with no 2391 and another where QS was straight out of college and can't even do three phase but hey ho they let him in. the problem I think you face is for commercial work most want NICEIC Approved contractor status ESP. Local authorities and insurance companies, and anyone who knows you and your work won't care anyway
its all the backhanders and brown envelopes goin back n forth that have ensured that, despite the fact that all the scams should have equal access to council/labc work......only the NIC guys are considered...

Are napit still going? What gets my goat is on that register/list I'm now on the same level as a kitchen fitter! I already spend half my time explaining to customers that the niceic are not the "electrical governing body" or "the only company's/individuals that are allowed to carry out electrical work". Then Elecsa have now demoted all of their customers in one foul swoop. Look at it in the eyes of a customer who searches the site and is presented with the current list! Who do you think they will go with? The list should show who is allowed to undertake electrical works in a domestic environment and that's it.

Don't think for one minute that Elecsa will take a blind bit of notice to letters or phone calls complaining about this register...unfortunately, it's too late in the day, the deal is already done and they believe its what we've all been asking for (nobody asked me though!)
In 18 months time well have something like the NICECA with DI or AC status depending on how much you want to pay and there will most definitely be some made up new qualifications needed for AC status thrown in to boot.

In my opinion the best and only way to show how you feel about all this crap, is to leave at the next assessment/renewal time, withdraw your financial support from all the scams and make a stand. Continue to work to BS7671 and Part P etc, have your insurance, certify work as normal and shove the LABC notification up the arsenal of the nearest NIC inspector free of charge. I've yet to meet any client who gives a ---- about notification....and as for warranty's bet they become the new PPI claims in the future.

Are napit still going? What gets my goat is on that register/list I'm now on the same level as a kitchen fitter! I already spend half my time explaining to customers that the niceic are not the "electrical governing body" or "the only company's/individuals that are allowed to carry out electrical work". Then Elecsa have now demoted all of their customers in one foul swoop. Look at it in the eyes of a customer who searches the site and is presented with the current list! Who do you think they will go with? The list should show who is allowed to undertake electrical works in a domestic environment and that's it.
well....the best way forward...would be to give elecsa the fork...next time they come nocking for cash....

Jonny your spot on
I am all for a list/register just like gas safe. I will be phoning them tomorrow to have the Elecsa logo removed next to my name on the list. Then when future customers that can be bothered to use/check the Internet register, I will show up.

Then Elecsa have now demoted all of their customers in one foul swoop. Look at it in the eyes of a customer who searches the site and is presented with the current list! Who do you think they will go with? The list should show who is allowed to undertake electrical works in a domestic environment and that's it.

Why would they do this? I wonder, if I was a cynical person I would say perhaps financial gain?? would they do this? no, never, surely not now there in with the NIC.

quotes

Napit here we go lol

i dont think so...lol....or you will find yourself being cornered into taking the `napit2391`.....a useless bit of ar$e paper if ever there was one...lol...lol...

With this news that there are pretend 2391 holders with Napit,I better go with another scam provider who accept only the real 2391
icon7.png

Oh.sorry my mistake,none of the others,including Niceic approved, ask for any sort of 2391, be it the real thing or a pretend one
N

Best if I stay with these particular scammers,at the least, they do seem to pay some sort of lip service to qualifications bless em
icon6.png

Sounds good one register for electricians which shows qualifications and experience..thats it, none of this pay a bit more and get a better title crap..wont happen though as theres no profit in it.

Simlec, dont think you can do that, think you have to have the scam bodys name next to yours.

i left 2 years ago for all the same reasons,
do i still carry out domestic work = yes
do i still complete certification = yes
does my work comply with bs7671 = yes
is my work load the same regardless = yes
stuff all the scheme providers (i agree in principal)n but as it stands no and if i end up in court for not paying fees to idiots telling me how to do a job im fully qualified to do then so be it
unfortunately we need millions of members to walk to see any results.

Ezzzekiel, good for you, a man of principle is pretty rare these days hats off to ya...

My renewals up in June and the way things are going I will be joining you. Lets face it the primary reason I'm an electrician is to make a living...not just to continually fill the pockets of every suited wonker who comes up with some new useless qualification or requirement.

I think this electrical safety register in principle is a good idea, but at present it is just another register to confuse the homeowner and has been set up under the guise of "customer awareness", but is blatantly an apparatus set to eventually fleece the electrician even more

- - - Updated - - -

Ezzzekiel, good for you, a man of principle is pretty rare these days hats off to ya...

My renewals up in June and the way things are going I will be joining you. Lets face it the primary reason I'm an electrician is to make a living...not just to continually fill the pockets of every suited wonker who comes up with some new useless qualification or requirement.

I think this electrical safety register in principle is a good idea, but at present it is just another register to confuse the homeowner and has been set up under the guise of "customer awareness", but is blatantly an apparatus set to eventually fleece the electrician even more

i left 2 years ago for all the same reasons,
do i still carry out domestic work = yes
do i still complete certification = yes
does my work comply with bs7671 = yes
is my work load the same regardless = yes
stuff all the scheme providers (i agree in principal)n but as it stands no and if i end up in court for not paying fees to idiots telling me how to do a job im fully qualified to do then so be it
unfortunately we need millions of members to walk to see any results.

I might be joining you soon my man! I don't think it will be long before those millions you speak of wake up and smell the freaking coffee!!

Totally, 100%, unequivocally agree!!!

Reply to A message to all Elecsa registered electricians!! A must read!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net