Discuss A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Been asked by a local pub to look into/improve some space heaters in the "smoking shelter". Seems a bit irresponsible to me this day and age, just wasting the earths resources trying to heat up the atmosphere while some people attempt to hasted their demise. What do you think, I thought Electricians were being encouraged to be energy efficient!

I was a smoker up until 11 years ago. I have no grudge against anyone that wants to do it, as long as it's not around me or my kids. Many times I have been to a pub and had to walk through people smoking in the doorway because it was cold outside or in the shelter. So for that reason I would do it. Just to get them out of the way of normal people that don't want to inhale their rubbish.

Jay

Been asked by a local pub to look into/improve some space heaters in the "smoking shelter". Seems a bit irresponsible to me this day and age, just wasting the earths resources trying to heat up the atmosphere while some people attempt to hasted their demise. What do you think, I thought Electricians were being encouraged to be energy efficient!

Well carbon offsetting is the trendy moral pacifier, so offer to install the heaters if they change all their lighting to LED :)

The smokers will likely live shorter lives and so save resources otherwise used in their old age.
Maybe suggest a timer system or motion sensor so they shut off when not needed.

several times i've been in these so called shelters. freezing cold. heaters either with burnt out tubes or switched off behind the bar. bad enough that we can't have a room ( bar area, say ) designated as smoking area, but shoved out into the cold in a freezing "shelter" with 3 sides open to the elements. it's a bummer. us smokers are being discriminated against in defiance of human rights. if it were women, blacks, muslims or gays that had to suffer, what an outcry there would be.

several times i've been in these so called shelters. freezing cold. heaters either with burnt out tubes or switched off behind the bar. bad enough that we can't have a room ( bar area, say ) designated as smoking area, but shoved out into the cold in a freezing "shelter" with 3 sides open to the elements. it's a bummer. us smokers are being discriminated against in defiance of human rights. if it were women, blacks, muslims or gays that had to suffer, what an outcry there would be.
I think they should allow smokers back in and ban kids. When we have brexited we can stop these daft continental ways.

I can't stand the filthy habit,even after partaking of the disgusting habit, the practitioners then have the audacity to dispose of their filth on the floor or if outside on the pavement,it can completely ruin your clothes
It also costs me (via my council tax) for the filth to be removed and I really resent this cost

Many times whilst out enjoying a smoke (out of the way of the self righteous) I contemplate why people chew gum then spit the filth anywhere without shame

I have never forgotten the time a mate and me were on a night out in Sheffield way back in the eighties when it was ok to smoke in pubs, anyway we are sat at a table puffing away and obviously drinking, there were a middle aged couple at the next table ( Non-smokers ) anyway for at least an hour this sour faced woman was quite clearly faking a cough obviously hoping we would bugger off elsewhere when my mate as cool as a cucumber turned to her and said, bloody hell love it's a good job you don't smoke with a cough like that already. They proceeded to drink up and leave the pub.:p:p

I agree, in the face of the vast hill humanity needs to climb, someone will always ask why 1 more patio heater is relevant, but that's the point, about 5 billion people say the same. It needs to start somewhere, and speaking up about it is half the battle won.
You could agree to fit it only if the pub sources electricity from one of the two only truly 100% green suppliers who use windmills, solar, hydro etc. (Ecotrcity or Good Energy). (Other suppliers so-called "green" tariffs often come with a big dose of greenwash, since much is derived from burning Canadian virgin boreal forests, processed and shipped over. (In Yorkshire DRAX for example.) It's not, as the argument goes, carbon neutral, and in the short term is probably worse than coal.

IMO as a smoker we have had our turn let the non smokers sit outside in the damp cold so called smoking area. The good old days of sitting round a table in the warm pub playing cards with the old boys some smokers and some not no one complained about us puffing on our smoke as we checked our cards or puffing on our smoke to calm our nerves while getting slaughtered by the opposing teams dart player throwing good darts lol. The weird thing is in the summer you can hardly get a seat outside because all the non smokers are sat out there lol. Ahhh rant over lol

IMO as a smoker we have had our turn let the non smokers sit outside in the damp cold so called smoking area. The good old days of sitting round a table in the warm pub playing cards with the old boys some smokers and some not no one complained about us puffing on our smoke as we checked our cards or puffing on our smoke to calm our nerves while getting slaughtered by the opposing teams dart player throwing good darts lol. The weird thing is in the summer you can hardly get a seat outside because all the non smokers are sat out there lol. Ahhh rant over lol

you forgot about all the beefed up child buggys on steroids that take up more space than 4 men.

Reply to A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net