Discuss A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As a non smoker I hate the smoking ban, all that wasted time walking to the edge of the grounds to the smoking area, while I have to carry on working! Not to mention all of those smokers crowded around the doorway of all the local pubs, bocking the pavements!

well, if these places provided smoking areas that were fit for humans as opposed to pigs and eskimos, we'd not have to stand in the doorways.

I don't get all the anti smoking stuff myself. I think the outright ban ...stinks for want of a better word. What would have been wrong with smoking areas say completely shut off. With a good ventilation system in place staffed by smokers ect. Or even a 10 percent of establishments in any area awarded an drinking and smoking license. I know one thing It has killed the pub game stone dead. There are other reasons but the smoking ban has moved people indoors with cheap supermarket booze, no bugger talking to each other apart from on the internet (Oh the irony lol).
Im sure the exchequer enjoys the tax from the people who don't buy the knockoffs lol. Im sick of hearing this "Don't treat them on nhs" and all that other stuff that clever people come up with. Lets face it if it were not for smokers then the nhs would have gone under years ago. I would also hazard a guess that our state pension system would have already collapsed "properly" had it not been for the early demise of these erstwhile tax payers.......Sometimes we should all be careful what we wish for.
As for the op...nah id refuse in your position...pass the job on to a smoker :)

Just to add to my previous rant lol when the doors shut at closing time in my local and for some unknown reason there are a few of us left inside ahumm the ashtrays come out on the bar and the non smokers dont complain.

Quite frankly I am staggered by some of the responses to this. I for one hated coming home from the pub with my clothes stinking of filthy smoke smoke, and it is great now you can go for a night out without having to put up with it. As for people who used to smoke in restaurants right next to people who were eating, they should have been machined gunned. Filthy horrible habit. I am quite amazed how people can make comments about some poor old gal choking on other peoples nasty horrible, and above all, deadly, second hand smoke. Wake up guys, the world has moved on, and it's one hell of a lot better. It wasn't OK in the sixties, if you were not a smoker, it was carp. I think I am going to turn the job down and let the b******s freeze to death, at least they won't be a drain on the NHS then.......

I don't get all the anti smoking stuff myself. I think the outright ban ...stinks for want of a better word. What would have been wrong with smoking areas say completely shut off. With a good ventilation system in place staffed by smokers ect. Or even a 10 percent of establishments in any area awarded an drinking and smoking license. I know one thing It has killed the pub game stone dead. There are other reasons but the smoking ban has moved people indoors with cheap supermarket booze, no bugger talking to each other apart from on the internet (Oh the irony lol).
Im sure the exchequer enjoys the tax from the people who don't buy the knockoffs lol. Im sick of hearing this "Don't treat them on nhs" and all that other stuff that clever people come up with. Lets face it if it were not for smokers then the nhs would have gone under years ago. I would also hazard a guess that our state pension system would have already collapsed "properly" had it not been for the early demise of these erstwhile tax payers.......Sometimes we should all be careful what we wish for.
As for the op...nah id refuse in your position...pass the job on to a smoker :)
What a load of complete and utter rubbish. I bet you are one of the burks that would smoke in front of young kids or even in the same vehicle? Get real for gods sake.

fair comment about smoking in a restaurant, but Diddy thinks like me. 1 room for smokers. 1 room for the fascist anti brigade. easy .

Quite frankly I am staggered by some of the responses to this. I for one hated coming home from the pub with my clothes stinking of filthy smoke smoke, and it is great now you can go for a night out without having to put up with it. As for people who used to smoke in restaurants right next to people who were eating, they should have been machined gunned. Filthy horrible habit. I am quite amazed how people can make comments about some poor old gal choking on other peoples nasty horrible, and above all, deadly, second hand smoke. Wake up guys, the world has moved on, and it's one hell of a lot better. It wasn't OK in the sixties, if you were not a smoker, it was carp. I think I am going to turn the job down and let the b******s freeze to death, at least they won't be a drain on the NHS then.......
Have a word with yourself mate, If you read my post again and take your time, you will see I clearly stated it was a fake cough,
I remember the days of Tap rooms and the lounge, the tap rooms were usually full of the smokers, the ironic part is that then all the non-smokers came and stood in the the Tap room breathing it in and now 30 years moan about passive smoking and how we are the work of the devil.
If people don't like smoker then don't stand next to us and then complain about it I would rather you a all bugger off and either Hug a tree or cuddle a polar bear !!!

Have a word with yourself mate, If you read my post again and take your time, you will see I clearly stated it was a fake cough,
I remember the days of Tap rooms and the lounge, the tap rooms were usually full of the smokers, the ironic part is that then all the non-smokers came and stood in the the Tap room breathing it in and now 30 years moan about passive smoking and how we are the work of the devil.
If people don't like smoker then don't stand next to us and then complain about it I would rather you a all bugger off and either Hug a tree or cuddle a polar bear !!!
No, you have a word with yourself mate. You are out of touch, those days are gone, thank goodness.

And what about the poor sods who have to WORK in there then?
getting all the benefit of my smoke when i'm paying the 400% tax on the smokes to pay for their treatment for alcoholism on the nhs.

No, you have a word with yourself mate. You are out of touch, those days are gone, thank goodness.
I often do, I usually get more sense. But you have just called another member a BERK and presumed he smokes in front of kids and in the same car as them. I'm all for a good debate but if you can't reply without getting personal then the thread will end up getting derailed and then closed.

I often do, I usually get more sense. But you have just called another member a BERK and presumed he smokes in front of kids and in the same car as them. I'm all for a good debate but if you can't reply without getting personal then the thread will end up getting derailed and then closed.
Oh were getting all uppity now we might be on a loser? For gods sake how many times have you been called, or called another guy a berk (big deal?) in a conversation in the workplace? The guy in question had some pretty controversial comments that need to be challenged, and in fact ARE challenged by modern thinking and legislation. Honestly, sometimes this place looks like PC heaven. I think your comments are a bit non PC actually, implying that I have no sense, but hey I am not going to make a big thing of it. Just lighten up man.

Sparks, I am going to bow out of this thread because it is just going to go round and round in circles, nothing to do with being on a loser and that is the truth, I am a smoker you are not, you have your opinion and I and others have ours, it's called life. As for the pc heaven bit, we have to keep the threads on track and civil so we naturally have to pull members when they come out with comments that " May"offend another member.

Sparks, I am going to bow out of this thread because it is just going to go round and round in circles, nothing to do with being on a loser and that is the truth, I am a smoker you are not, you have your opinion and I and others have ours, it's called life. As for the pc heaven bit, we have to keep the threads on track and civil so we naturally have to pull members when they come out with comments that " May"offend another member.
Fair comment. I wouldn't get too wound up about being called a burk, personally. It's been said more than once, but I agree we can't descend into an unregulated free for all. So, I agree this thread is "SSSSSMOKING" too hot.
Both my parents died of smoking related disease so I am probably a bit biased.........rock on.

Thinks sparks must be burnt out. For what its worth I stopped smoking well before the smoking ban. I have never and would never smoke in front of kids, Nor did I ever smoke in a restaurant, It's called manners and class. Without getting into --- for tat maybe you should apply some manners and class to your thoughts before you post.
The reason I defend smoker is simple. they pay their tax and know the risks. Until such time as nanny tells us it's illegal then im afraid the anti brigade are going to have to keep chipping. Now I'll bid you all goodnight as I have a large vodka and a movie on pause....Evening gents.

"Nor did I ever smoke in a restaurant, It's called manners and class".
Well, a lot of people certainly didn't have either! If there was one thing that used to worry the hell out of me back in those days, was "Oh how I hope we don't get sat next to a table of smokers". Plenty of people used to think it was OK to light up while other people were still eating, even between courses! Thank god those days are over.

Reply to A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net