Discuss A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No one bothered about all this in the 60s, smoke smoke everywhere, great!
Yep, I uesd to book seats near the back of the aircraft whenever I flew anywhere because you could smoke during the flight in the back 5 or 6 rows. Nowadays it takes a lot of will power to be a smoker. :)

Yep, I uesd to book seats near the back of the aircraft whenever I flew anywhere because you could smoke during the flight in the back 5 or 6 rows. Nowadays it takes a lot of will power to be a smoker. :)
Never ceases to amaze me how smoking was ever allowed on a passenger aircraft. A "non smoking seat" was a joke, when the cabin filled up from the back 4 or 5 rows. Thank goodness those days are in the past.

Never ceases to amaze me how smoking was ever allowed on a passenger aircraft. A "non smoking seat" was a joke, when the cabin filled up from the back 4 or 5 rows. Thank goodness those days are in the past.

As a non smoker and mostly in tune with your views, may I pull you on this one, since they stopped smoking on planes they changed the air circulation system from pulling in fresh air to recycling cabin air as a cost saving move, the result was that the air quality was substantially poorer and you had more chance of becoming ill if anyone had a air born infection like a cold etc, the abolision of smoking planes has had a counter-intuitive conclusion and makes modern flights less healthy, most of your other grievences I agree with except this one, unless you were a cabin crew member exposed every flight then I disagree with this post.

As a non smoker and mostly in tune with your views, may I pull you on this one, since they stopped smoking on planes they changed the air circulation system from pulling in fresh air to recycling cabin air as a cost saving move, the result was that the air quality was substantially poorer and you had more chance of becoming ill if anyone had a air born infection like a cold etc, the abolision of smoking planes has had a counter-intuitive conclusion and makes modern flights less healthy, most of your other grievences I agree with except this one, unless you were a cabin crew member exposed every flight then I disagree with this post.
Well, I will bow to your knowledge on this one, however, if you got a seat anywhere near the back, you still got that awful acrid stink wafting forwards. I used to do quite a bit of flying for work and it was always a big relief when I managed to get a seat at the front!

Well, I will bow to your knowledge on this one, however, if you got a seat anywhere near the back, you still got that awful acrid stink wafting forwards. I used to do quite a bit of flying for work and it was always a big relief when I managed to get a seat at the front!
you should have opened the window. :(

Just different times, the world was a very different place 40 years ago. I guess it was less populated and claustrophobic and people weren't on top of each other so much and maybe a bit more tolerant of each other and relaxed. It was only 40 years ago but smoking was acceptable just about anywhere, very few women worked, it was standard practice to smack your children when they were bad and calling a black guy a 'sambo' or 'nig-nog' was normal in many circles including the BBC.

Here we are in 2017 and the topics of conversation are around the moral dilemma of installing outdoor heaters for a pub smoking area and people declaring what's almost a jihaad on smokers. You say it never ceases to amaze you but I think most people 40 years ago would have been equally as flabbergasted if you told them what the world would be like in 2017.

Whether you refuse to install them on personal grounds is up to you, nobody can really advise you on that. Hell, I can't really talk, I tend to decline work that's boring, even some very profitable jobs and go out of my way to get involved in projects I find interesting. I understand that it's not always about the money, I just don't get you feeling so strongly about smoking and smokers when it's already rigidly regulated, it's been made socially unnaceptable and it's taxed to the hilt.

What a load of complete and utter rubbish. I bet you are one of the burks that would smoke in front of young kids or even in the same vehicle? Get real for gods sake.

Try to calm down, frustration and the stress can end up making one to become part of the burden of the NHS
I would suggest having a smoke to allay the condition;)

There are 2 types of non smokers,in general the first will have never smoked,they don't seem to be obsessed by the
subject,they wanted and gained the right not to have the habit inflicted on them and their health
All in all the current laws protect their right

Then there are the self appointed moral police,the ex smokers,these are those who (whilst quietly wishing they too could have a smoke) are swept up in the hysteria their condition can cause,this thread epitomises the groups the general public seem to fall into
I

sod the smokes. on the news this morning some medical gurus ( at o cost of several millions, no doubt ) have advised us to eat yellow toast ( a bit like eating yellow snow ), and not to eat roast potatoes , as brown toast and roast taters cause cancer. you couldn't make it up.

It's been known for years cooking some foods especially when you char them can create acrylamide which with recent testing on animals gave them tumors and cancers, I'm scepticle on this though because homo-sapien and his ancestors have been cooking food throughout their history where as animals haven't so surely our bodies have adapted to this carcenogenic chemical through natural selection, unfortunately we may never know as they won't be doing human testing anytime soon as seeing if they get cancer or tumors breaches many a regulation.

There are 2 types of non smokers,in general the first will have never smoked,they don't seem to be obsessed by the
subject,they wanted and gained the right not to have the habit inflicted on them and their health
All in all the current laws protect their right

Then there are the self appointed moral police,the ex smokers,these are those who (whilst quietly wishing they too could have a smoke) are swept up in the hysteria their condition can cause,this thread epitomises the groups the general public seem to fall into
I
3 types Des, I'm in the third.
I smoked for years, 20-30 a day. I stopped 16 years ago and have no problem with smokers or smoke.

3 types Des, I'm in the third.
I smoked for years, 20-30 a day. I stopped 16 years ago and have no problem with smokers or smoke.
Me too mate. It was reading the Alan Carr book that did it for me. Funny as for other things I have very little willpower. I just find the "logical" approach works for me in giving up and it also works in other areas of life too. As said smokers don't bother me, bothers me having to go outside to continue a evening out...a thing that I do not blame the smokers for. Some
bugger moved the goal posts far too far imho.
Again this probably sounds contradictory but if "they" that is government and the people want smoking banned then it's simple. Just say nobody under 16 can buy cigs, then next year make it nobody under 17, repeat this over 20 years and you will have a generation of non smokers but with a tax shortfall that will have to be filled by something. The worst of it is millions will still die early due to vehicle emissions. But lets not start limiting the use of the car in favor of a brisk walk lol...we will all end up living to 100 with no money for our pensions.

several times i've been in these so called shelters. freezing cold. heaters either with burnt out tubes or switched off behind the bar. bad enough that we can't have a room ( bar area, say ) designated as smoking area, but shoved out into the cold in a freezing "shelter" with 3 sides open to the elements. it's a bummer. us smokers are being discriminated against in defiance of human rights. if it were women, blacks, muslims or gays that had to suffer, what an outcry there would be.

Dear Sir,my own mother,who is Ghanian,a muslim,and has recently decided to "come out",has found no examples of persecution,as she sits at our local,smoking her pipe.
Maybe our village is more tolerant of individuals rights,than your own.
I will send you a visa application form,so you can visit.;)

...and to get back to the original OP's dilema,of working on a smoking area at a pub...if you were prepared to go anyway,you obviously have no concerns about accepting work from an establishment predominantly ran,for the ingesting of a substance,predominantly taken for pleasure,almost always to excess,with the resulting fall-out,readily viewed on our streets,and in our hospitals...

You can all drink and smoke yourselves to oblivion,while i sit back and gaze in sympathy,from the comfort of my opium-den.

Dear Sir,my own mother,who is Ghanian,a muslim,and has recently decided to "come out",has found no examples of persecution,as she sits at our local,smoking her pipe.
Maybe our village is more tolerant of individuals rights,than your own.
I will send you a visa application form,so you can visit.;)

...and to get back to the original OP's dilema,of working on a smoking area at a pub...if you were prepared to go anyway,you obviously have no concerns about accepting work from an establishment predominantly ran,for the ingesting of a substance,predominantly taken for pleasure,almost always to excess,with the resulting fall-out,readily viewed on our streets,and in our hospitals...

You can all drink and smoke yourselves to oblivion,while i sit back and gaze in sympathy,from the comfort of my opium-den.
RTFQ

sod the smokes. on the news this morning some medical gurus ( at o cost of several millions, no doubt ) have advised us to eat yellow toast ( a bit like eating yellow snow ), and not to eat roast potatoes , as brown toast and roast taters cause cancer. you couldn't make it up.
Someone needs to tell these medical nutters to turn it in, before they attack all the food I love fry ups and the great English roast I can't take it any more I might take up smoking to calm my nerves

↑
RTFQ
↑
QPQ
What does this mean.?
No idea what QPQ means, possibly some manc stuff. I thought RTFQ was a commonly known abbreviation for "Read the F***** Question as in exams or as meant in my reply, the original post, which was to do with green issues not smoking or boozing.

Reply to A Moral issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net