Discuss A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Builders sometimes can be a law to themselves , I tended to steer clear and work directly for the homeowner directly if I could , builders didn't like it if they were involved too , but it didn't take long before the homeowner realised what they were like when they had problems on other things they had done ....
You have to watch them ....

Builders sometimes can be a law to themselves , I tended to steer clear and work directly for the homeowner directly if I could , builders didn't like it if they were involved too , but it didn't take long before the homeowner realised what they were like when they had problems on other things they had done ....
You have to watch them ....

He's been dead for years...but you lot can't leave Fred West alone...;)

Hello.

Had consumer unit done and 2 faults noted. Downstairs no continuaty on earth sockets. I have been up all night and found dodgy crimp connection. Thats all fixed. Second was no continuaty on all 3 wires for upstairs sockets at CU. I have literally taken off all sockets and all but one has continuaty accross all 3 wires. Does this mean a break between that socket and CU somewhere and if so. How would i confirm that 100% / fix ?.

Sounds like you need a sparky to find the fault.

When you say you have continuity between all 3 wires I assume you mean r1 to r1, r2 to r2 and n to n? Or do you mean r1 to r2, r1 to n, r2 to n?

If it's r1 to r1 it could be you're testing the wrong circuit, or a faulty ring. Possibly a buried junction.

As a side note, a fee weeks ago some of us were talking about wagos vs crimps. Case in point, this couldn't happen with wagos.

Hello. All 3 wires, life, neutrol and earth have no continuity on upstairs sockets. Found only one socket upstairs having issue but electrician tested from CU when fitting. So assume that means issue betwwen that socket and CU ?

Imagine a circle, break the circle at one point. If the cu is on the circle then no matter where you test on that circuit it will be broken, unless the ring has been wired up wrong in the first place.

So you have had a new consumer unit fitted , was this by an Electrician and if so he has pointed out these faults I take it , and you in your infinite wisdom have decided to play with it yourself , WHY , get the Electrician you have to sort it for you , he is the one who will or should be issuing you the certificate so he is the one to rectify and do the final testing , also do you not realise the only part he would guarantee is what he installs , in effect the installation within your extension has no guarantee by a qualified Electrician , personally I would make this very clear on any Installation Cert I would issue in such circumstances...

Hi. I was using continuity metre, got it down to one plug, had floor boards up. Can see the wire that does not energise one way but would need more floor boards up to track. All other sockets have continuity using metre etc. Electrician advised i have a look for loose wirs and see if i can pinpoint and call him back with findings as it is the labour tracking down that is most of cost. Hence doing above. So now i can call him back and advise wire im seeing not live when energised one way. But guess he will need floorboards up etc to trace also. Electrician good man, just advised i check obvious first. Its signed if etc as apoatantly its not a requirment. But its bugging me

"It's signed off because it's not a requirement" - could you clarify this line. I may gave misunderstood.

The Electrician supplied and fitted CU. Signed of as such with a note saying no continuuaty on ring main CPC. Put such on note on CU also. But clearly i want it right. He advised trouble shooting etc could take long time / money and to do some basic checks myself. I did as above pinpointing to one socket and noting when live with both lives seperated only one is live. Tracking where the non live is going though i cannot work out though as all other sockets upstairs energise both ways. Hence why i now guess going to be more floor biards up to trace where wire is going ?.

I don't think there's anything else you can do except trace it back. Are you sure you are competent to do this work? Do you have means of testing/proving dead? Not having a go, but you need to be careful.

Hi: Sorry but do you have any concept of how Dangerous, what your doing is ?.
Your obviously untrained & yet you think it's acceptable to test a circuit live, unbelievable.
Do yourself a favour before you Electrocute yourself, call a trained electrician.

I don't think there's anything else you can do except trace it back. Are you sure you are competent to do this work? Do you have means of testing/proving dead? Not having a go, but you need to be careful.

Reading what he's already said, he appears to be live testing with a multimeter. See #52.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. No, not live testing. Continuity testing on dead circuit by taking face plate of and testing between the 2 reds etc. Life testing was done using a no touch tester also. Just to confirm results. End result is a wire cut / disconected somewhere of one socket. Cannot trace without having up floorboards etc as none of the wires are connected at dead end so hence not possible. Unless i am missing something ?. Just seeking advise, i am not a pro and some membrrs are hence seaking the advise. Much easier if only one wire not connected of course but all 3 is hard for me. Checked all sockets and all were connected with knly one failing the continuaty test etc

I had the kitchen wall knocked down recently and wireing on that wall put else where. Kitchen is down stairs and issue is only upstairs. But thinking wire may have been cut. The CU was only changed 3 years back and no issues detected then which is why i am thinking this. So more boards tracing may be only way. Electrician said he will pop back and see if ive missed anything but my tests do seem to show a cut wire somewhere and floorboards up etc job. Was only seeking help everyone. As to if any tests were viable using voltage metre etc that i have not done to save pulling up more floor boards etc.

Hi. No, not live testing. Continuity testing on dead circuit by taking face plate of and testing between the 2 reds etc. Life testing was done using a no touch tester also. Just to confirm results. End result is a wire cut / disconected somewhere of one socket. Cannot trace without having up floorboards etc as none of the wires are connected at dead end so hence not possible. Unless i am missing something ?. Just seeking advise, i am not a pro and some membrrs are hence seaking the advise. Much easier if only one wire not connected of course but all 3 is hard for me. Checked all sockets and all were connected with knly one failing the continuaty test etc

Sorry but you've just said again about Live testing using a non contact tester, in post 52 you said about having the cables open & separated and 1 end was Live the other was dead.
Whether your using a non contact tester or not. If you have open Live wires then you could easily slip & electrocute yourself.
We never advocate untrained people carrying out Live testing on bare cables or terminals for any reason.

Reply to A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net