Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Knobhead

Just a reminder to everyone, could you all please keep banging the drum for the http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ site and campaign?

The sooner the world is rid of “childproof socket covers” the better it will be.

I’ve managed to get them banned from two health care trusts, with your help more should follow.

*Edit*
Just to update you all, I registered with a new doctor on Friday. Different NHS trust, not a sign of those socket child safety covers anywhere.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/electrical-forum-general-electrical-forum/35234-visit-doctors.html

http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

If any of you have cause to go to any doctor’s surgeries (I don’t want to know the details thanks) let me know if you see any of the dreaded things. Just need to know the NHS trust name.

With your help the bloody things will be banned :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Fatally Flawed

Just so happens my mother is one of the managers for the nhs surgerys (south east). Will have a word with her and see if she can have a memo sent round.

Thanks for bringing it up, hadnt heard about these before. Sound like a death trap!

Rob

I showed the website to a local nursery manager a few months back. She immediately removed all these covers only to have a Mum have an eppy fit at her. I think they put out a letter, but they haven't replaced the covers thankfully.

If you use Amazon you might like to contribute to their reviews, by all means mention FatallyFlawed, but do not include a link or your review will be banned. (Googling FatallyFlawed socket cover will always find us.)

Reviews from experts, such as the members of this forum, must carry weight!

Here is the Clippasafe product at Amazon:
Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Clippasafe UK Socket Covers (4-Pack)

They sell lots of others as well.

Interestingly Amazon has been busy removing most of the negative comments about the Clippasafe socket covers. They clearly do not like the truth.

This greatly surprises me as I had always regarded Amazon as an honest retailer.

The old tale, sales come first. Safety, what’s that?

How can they remove critical assessments of a product?

It's not the first time that Amazon have done things like this. The famous David Cockburn book on earthing and bonding got a royal slating and most of the negative reviews were removed, but I think so many people complained to Amazon that they kept a few of the less scathing on.

I noticed this several years ago and which magazine has done an article on them also if I remember correctly.
There are some on the market where all 3 pins are the same size and you cannot defect the sockets integrity.
I am seeing less and less of the dodgy ones. It does make me shudder when in a nursery they use them.
I personally prefer not to use any of them at all.

There are some on the market where all 3 pins are the same size and you cannot defect the sockets integrity.

Hi Blowcat, It is important to realize that there are NO socket covers on the market which are the correct size as defined by BS 1363. The problems caused by wrong size vary a lot, they include making it too easy to insert upside down, too easy to remove, not covering the holes, oversize pins which will cause permanent damage to contacts, and not enough length difference between "earth" and "power" pins which can cause damage to the built-in shutters (that is, the shutters are not opened properly before the power pins are rammed into them). Check out the "Size Matters" page on the FatallyFlawed site.

Very interesting article, never thought of the dangers of these covers. I'm now just about to remove them from my kids room.
Will be showing this article to the nursery / creche where my youngest goes
Good work lads

Hi FatallyFlawed.
To be honest I have only ever thought about being able to insert them upside down so you can gain access to the live contacts. Every time I have seem the ones where the pins are same lengh I have always thought "They are good". :blush5:.
Thanks for the advice ill check out the site.

They've got these at my little mans child clinic that he goes to.
I think they are at my GP's too.

Will do some recon work.

My doctor was shocked (not literally) when I pulled the cover out of the socket and put it back in upside down. Some times shock tactics work, it got them banned within the week from two adjacent health trusts. There should be a recommendation from the NHS to all local area trusts as to their removal. Please ask your doctor to follow it up.

My wife's a childminder and the house is full of them- only till she gets home though there out today and i'll be making sure all her contact know about them to.

Meanwhile, Amazon have been busy this week removing most of the negative reviews on socket covers, including my video review of the Clippasafe type.

I just don’t know what to say. You must despair at times.

Keep on banging the drum though, it’s the only way.

I just don’t know what to say. You must despair at times.

I despair of the people who promote the myth, but not the cause we are fighting for!

Here is an example of the warped thinking that goes on:

Having realised that the tide is turning against their promotion of socket covers as essential to stop children poking their fingers into sockets, Clippasafe now claim that covers are to prevent children plugging things in. On their website they say that covers “will prevent children from plugging in electrical items such as heaters and hair straighteners”. But, the Clippasafe type, also sold under the Boots and John Lewis brands, is“easily removed from the socket by inserting the plug you need to use” (Clippasafe’s own description of their product) so the suggestion that it can prevent children plugging in a dangerous device is clearly absolute nonsense!

Just a reminder to everyone, could you all please keep banging the drum for the http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/ site and campaign?

The sooner the world is rid of “childproof socket covers” the better it will be.

I’ve managed to get them banned from two health care trusts, with your help more should follow.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock