Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just an update: It would appear that my advice was ignored and the covers are still fitted..... As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water...."

I cant believe these are still being sold and used all over the place after reading this again the other day I posted it on my face book page and already there are a few mothers removing them from their use and I contacted my local newspaper were I am going next week where they have agreed to run an article the following week so I will keep you posted on my attempts to get these banned in my area at least !! Rome wasn't built in a day but it was built we just have to show the same strength of caricature !!

Totally agree that they are a waste of space and a danger. My only concern at recommending they are removed is that if the shutter mechanism has been damaged, just removing the 'safety cover' could leave the live contacts unprotected or compromised? Any advice on this please? Thanks.

Totally agree that they are a waste of space and a danger. My only concern at recommending they are removed is that if the shutter mechanism has been damaged, just removing the 'safety cover' could leave the live contacts unprotected or compromised? Any advice on this please? Thanks.

Hi Trickyd. If the socket stutter is damaged then just replace the socket with a new one. When removing the 'covers' just check to see that they are operate properly.

the thing is im not against them if they are well designed and you cannot put them in the wrong way and open the shutters.

would any of you complain if they changed them so the earth pin wasnt long enough to open the shutter?

at the moment most just circumvent the built in protection aka the built in shutters.

The sockets are shuttered already though. They don't add any benefit. Daz

They are not needed shanky, simple as that. Its a bit like teaching women to wash up, no need, its already in their genes... :)

would any of you complain if they changed them so the earth pin wasnt long enough to open the shutter? at the moment most just circumvent the built in protection aka the built in shutters.

The only things which are safe to plug into sockets are those which have the exact dimensions of a real plug, as specified in BS 1363. There are NO socket covers which do!

Shanky, if the earth pin is too short to open the shutters, then you could not put the damn thing in anyway, except that there are people out there who so stupid they would use a hammer! There are Amazon reviews of the Clippasafe cover, which has an odd pointed "earth pin", which say that it is OK providing you "push strongly" and that you have to "hammer them in".

I think that you are also forgetting that opening by the earth pin alone is just one method in use, for many years MK sockets were opened by the line and neutral pins only, and modern MK Logic Plus sockets require all three pins to be inserted simultaneously. Both Legrand and Hager make sockets which also require all three (correctly sized and shaped) pins to open the shutters (all three manufacturers using different a patented designs). All these are fully consistent with the standard.

A shutter being opened by an inverted cover is just one of the things which make the dangerous, it is important to remember that socket covers also damage socket contacts, and, if "hammered in", smash the shutters.

It is realy scary how people react when you ask them about this I do every time I see them " why do you have that there?" get the normal responces WHY are they still on sale ffs

I returned to this after many years and found them still on Amazon and this thread worryingly quiet. Time to revive it! Come one guys, start banging the drum again! I just posted a review there and will look for some similar products to review and start spreading the warnings again.
Thanks for bringing this issue back to the forefront.

I still notice them subconsciously wherever I go, but admitting i don't say anything to the management of these places.

You would think after the 11 years this thread has been active, thee would have been movements from the powers that be to ban the sale of them??

I noticed these items installed in many sockets in my local health club. I spoke to a member of the reception team who promised to tell the management.
Subsequently I saw the covers had been removed. I'm wondering if that was just local action or if the other clubs in the chain have removed them too.

I always make a note ( in red ) on an EICR if they are being used and put a link to the fatalyflawed website in the note in the hope it will discourage there use

Groups like Electrical Safety First and BSI should be doing more to stop their use and more importantly manufacture IMO

I still tell people not to use them whenever I see them.
Got my kids school, after school club & dentist to remove them. I printed off the FatallyFlawed sheet and gave it to them along with other info.
I haven't seen any in a bit, but them I work in an office and I'm ant-social. 🤣
Good to see that people are still thinking about these stupid covers.

In general, still duping the public, though.....in that some are still making money out of manufacture and sales.
I don't think FatallyFlawed are having much effect on Amazon, for instance.
Obviously, not through lack of trying.
Although, just been going through some of the 'comments from customers' on Amazon....I've yet to find one later that 2016, so here's hoping.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net