Discuss Access to Distribution boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys
its been a while since my last post. Here goes.
My client, a large office on one floor of a complex, are responsible for a three phase supply to their office. EICR carried out 2 years ago. They are not allowed access to the distribution board to operate MCBs RCBOs etc but they are responsible for the board as part of the installation. They have to give 24hrs notice & are charged by the landlord for the privilege.
I think regulation Nos 132.12 & 513.1 are the ones i need to allow them access, either that or the landlord should provide emergency isolation in the event of an emergency.
Help!!

How can you run a business when the power is off for a day? If Fireman Sam needed access He would get it, one way or another. So perhaps a chat with local FB safety officer about your concerns and later, an on-site key might magically be made available? Just a thought. Cheers, David.

I work in larger installations and the CEO and myself generally have the policy that now BA1 (is it) ie ordinary person should not have access to electrical switchgear in plant rooms. I think the regs you are quoting are for the competent person or instructed person. I would not advocate personally for the average staff member to have access to potentially dangerous places. Our tenants are not even allowed to change a light bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I often find it amusing to explain to clients (who have a sense of humour) how the ranking goes on BA1 BA2 etc. In that the ordinary person seems to rank below children and handicapped.

Really speaking this is about liability. The installation presents danger to tenants. The landlord obviates his liability by restricting access. If he puts in the way of an emergency that needs immediate attention a 24 hour notice then any harm resulting from that he will be liable for. Is there any contingency for emergency access (immediate)?. If not perhaps a letter to the landlord to raise the point should be considered. I can understand if the landlord has to send a keyholder to open up for an electrician then a fee must be charged. However it appears the 24 hour notice needs some negotiation with the landlord in the case of emergency as it would benefit him as well. And honestly speaking if it were an emergency well I suppose a crowbar would be used and worry about it all later?

But should a competent person have access to a MCB/RCBO in the event of an emergency bearing in mind reception is 2 floors below and maintenance is 2 buildings away. What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a MCB/RCBO to be isolated?
There was a fault with a dishwasher that tripped a RCBO which in turn shut down a Sanispeed pump which in turn flooded the office- i waited for 1 hour for access to the plant room to reset.

Defo you should have access. Landlord delay opens him up to liability for flood damage. As I say a matter of negotiation with the landlord pointing out the shortcomings of current practice. I must say on the four buildings I maintain I have a master key for access to all areas.

Reply to Access to Distribution boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net