Discuss Access to service fuses in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i will always cut the seal and isolate and replace afterwards with seals from wholesalers! im only on this planet once and i tend to stay for a while longer! i really dont care what they say, the eawr regs state that we need to have some form of safe isolation, and all this red tape going on i will find it even harder to make a living from this line of work.....part p etc, etc. I will always justify my actions if it is ever questioned. :)

They can take me to court if they want too......not bothered in the slightest!!

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly.........i have jumped through enough hoops to prove that im competant! i think pulling a fuse and re-sealing it again is a no brainer! :D

I dont recall the exact wording but there is a line in EAWR that basically says you will take all necessary and resonable measure to ensure that you do not work live. So would removing the suppliers fuse not be classed as a reasonable measure?

thats the way i see it! if they dont like it then they should go round and fit isolator switches to every house in my opinion so the likes of us can isolate safely!

As far as I'm aware no electrician (and I know loads) has ever been taken to court for removing 'seals'...the judge, chairman .. would throw the case out. If the plaintiff was ever successful it would open up a big can of worms and cost the board/s £zillions because they would then have to provide safe means of isolation.

Even if they did that, how would you isolate the isolator if a fault occured in the isolator?...or in the year 2020 when tails have to be 50mm and earth 35mm -;)

I can see the point here, and I have done and will continue to do the same, as I too prefer life. I have a slight problem in that I am going through my Part P accreditation and I will be taking the inspector to 2 jobs (fuseboard changes). Fortunately, the seals to the main fuse where missing from both of them (yes really), will the inspector pick this up and will he ask "difficult questions" regarding this (probably) and where can I get seals that UKPablo mentions in his post (preferable)

Many thanks in advance

There is a small possibility you will be asked but as has been said and i do agree that we have to cut seals ,deep down the ESC is on our side i have recently been in talks with the regarding this problem ,belive it or not the tails from the meter to the CDU are not the responcibility of the electrical supplier but of the householder as they are on the out going of the meter ,so us electricians are in a catch 22 situation ,as for meter seals the last lot i got off ebay for 2.50 for 100 and they a good 2

hi mate
they should be made to fit isolators if we are not allowed to cut there seals If the tails need upgrading and they say the tails are the consumers and also down to us to upgrade
then its impossible not to cut seals
i recently got british gas to fit a isolator at my brothers the seals were already missing but as i am going to use this job for assessment then i thought i had better get it done by them
It cost £39 and they said they had to change meter and tails also and its the same cost no matter what is done
But concerning future jobs the seal will always be missing unless customer is willing to pay for supplier
as i am deffo not working on it live

Last edited:
i have always fitted an isolator myself and charged it to customer, that way i never cut the seal i didnt need to there was already an iso fitted

I like your style mate they are just complicating it if they dont want us to touch it they should fit isolators free of charge and spend some of the money they been overcharging customers for last few yrs

Last edited:
Coffeemad, on my assessment I put in isolators and made out they were already there. The assessor said 'well, if there isnt an isolator in future, pull the fuse. Don't work live under any circumstances'.

Hi

On a recent rewire i was doing the supply company were fitting a new meter, and there guy puled the main fuse and proceeded to change, the chat i had with him he tod me he was not and electrician he done a one day couse on meter installation and isolation of supply. I find it very strange that qualified electrician cant do this job, sounds like its a semi skilled job. I pointed out to him while he was doing the job he had an exposed live part with the fuse out he yes we should fit shield but never do it so much for health and safety

Danny

i am certainly not sticking up for the suppliers when i post thisas i think they should be made to fit islators if they don`t want us pulling the fuse, but i can also see where they are coming from for if they said the "electrician" was ok to pull the fuse and worst case one blew up in his face or broke in his hand they would probably be liable, bit of a grey area . but like i said if they are not prepared to let us pull it they should have to provide us with a means of isolation.

i for one would never grab live tails.

Catch yourselves on, this isn't about safety per se but about stealing electricity (bypassing the meter) BUT If a supplier tracks your energy use, how TF are you going to nick a worthwhile amount of power. Ergo, why threaten people with court action and possible custodial sentences. ( My 78 YO Dad ) Maybe they should keep a better track on their meters?

Reply to Access to service fuses in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net