Discuss Accessibility of distribution boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That's as rough as a bag of rusty nails, rusty

Crawl under the stairs, through loads of coats and Christmas decorations, lie down and with a torch between your teeth, all should be fine.

What are people's opinions on the accessibility of distribution boards. For example a 20 way TP-N board placed above a false ceiling...?
Why do you ask Rusty?
It's as rough as a badger's arse (I obviously have no idea how rough one is but I'm led to believe....)

Valid point ^^^^ In addition,would it any harder to access/test/modify,removing one loose panel,and setting up suitable hop-up,than crawling 180 degrees into the pointy end of an under-stairs cupboard? ...i may fit the next one using a 32 core submarine umbilical,and velcro the DB to the shell of a giant tortoise...:conehead:

I take it that this is in a commercial establishment, and would be unacceptable for many valid reasons. Damn sure the dreaded H&S inspector would take a very dim view of such a location.

Oh, and how does removing one false ceiling grid tile comply with the recommended minimum provision for an electrical panels safe working space??

I suppose as DillB said. It comes down to what was there first, the ceiling or the board.

Not really, not to a H&S inspector and i'd agree with him too!!...

Someone somewhere made the decision that the DB was to be installed above a false ceiling, ...or that it was fine to enclose this 20 way DB by installing a false ceiling. Both are unacceptable on many levels to anyone with an just an ounce of common sense left in their shell like!! lol!!

Who made the decisions though? Was it the same person or two separate people at different times? Whoever made the last decision dropped a -------. Not everything gets designed, something’s develop piecemeal.

The HSE inspector isn’t going to be happy, that’s if he knows the boards there.

Who made the decisions though? Was it the same person or two separate people at different times? Whoever made the last decision dropped a -------. Not everything gets designed, something’s develop piecemeal.

The HSE inspector isn’t going to be happy, that’s if he knows the boards there.

you just put a few trip hazards where you know he'll see them. he won't be looking fdor the DB once he's got something to write down.

I take it that this is in a commercial establishment, and would be unacceptable for many valid reasons. Damn sure the dreaded H&S inspector would take a very dim view of such a location.

Oh, and how does removing one false ceiling grid tile comply with the recommended minimum provision for an electrical panels safe working space??

This week I've been helping a friend out who got a sizeable extension job on the side of a village hall. Due to people letting him down he had become behind and needed some help for a couple of days...

I didn't know the electricians doing the electrical work. I just saw some things that really ****ed me off, firstly was the state of the job, things just ripped out left on the floor cables new and old everywhere no tidying what so ever. I had to help my friend lay a chipboard floor in the new part of the extension. Earthing conductors had been left over joists and wagos had not been placed inside a box. We were unable to lay the whole floor due to these two things, that kicked it off really. I mentioned the things that I saw and he was also annoyed with the cables over the joists. So next day sparky comes in all bulshee gunning for me after being told that I had said the wagos should really be in a box. He came out with all this baloney for about 5 minutes, then when he was finished I looked down where the wagos where and he had put a 85 x 115 IP 65 enclosure, fair enough nothing wrong with that I just had to point out to him that wago manufacture a specific box for there connectors...he had also removed any cables over any joists. So then I was kind of annoyed that he was having a go but I was clearly right. I started talking to him about the distribution board above the false ceiling...he said nothing wrong with that mate, turned round and said if you find anything else give me a ring I will go and get my card from the van, got in his van and drove off lol

the one thing I found interesting was that he said the distribution board had been moved from the same position above the false ceiling to an adjacent wall so the wall could be knocked down and the room extended. Now I appreciate that it would have been difficult to move somewhere else but I just think that not much thought was put into it.

So this boils down to a clash of personalities, nothing to do with accessing the DB.

You were there to lay a floor, did you need to get to the DB to do your job?

Reply to Accessibility of distribution boards in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock