Discuss Adding a garage consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi, am newly qualified and need to do two circuits for registration process, so want to get this right. Main CU in garage is under sized for mcb's (only holds 6). So going to install additional garage consumer unit populated with 1 x 20a rcbo for 2.5mm radial circuit and 1x 6a rcbo for garage and external led lighting. Supply will be from a 32a mcb (this is rcd protected) which will be a sole supply as I will remove a soon to be redundant electric shower supply. I will be using 6mm t&e supply for the garage, all and any advice regarding testing for the additional CU (not the circuits). I am going to test it as though it were a new radial circuit, then obviously do a full test on the 20a and 6a circuits when I've completed those. Any helpful advice welcome.

So you are going to install a separate CU to off load some of the circuits from the main CU?? Would sound more sensible to up grade the main CU.
Simplest way of getting 2 new circuits for inspection, relieve space on mainCU, segregate supply for working in garage / workshop from house. Get registration then upgrade CU to new 17th edition 10'way rcbo board. Garage electrics need sorting anyway so this kills many birds with one stone.

The best way to show a job you have done is to test the place, replace the main CU and resolve any issues. Adding on a two way board will look ad hoc and you may well get asked about discrimination between protective devices which you will want to avoid.

why fit a RCBO for garage sockets when there is already RCD protection in the main CU? If the CU is hi-integrity and the T/E cable to the sub is surface, then feed sub from a non-RCD way. better way is as said before. upgrade the main CU.

Last edited:
The best way to show a job you have done is to test the place, replace the main CU and resolve any issues. Adding on a two way board will look ad hoc and you may well get asked about discrimination between protective devices which you will want to avoid.
Eventually want totally separate spark to outside / workshop garage, so when I do new main CU will split tails with henleys then have power in the event of main CU problem. Discrimination a good point though, hoping testing will show rcbo is faster than rcd, if not then all resolved with upgraded main CU as you said but this route the positives out way the negatives.

Eventually want totally separate spark to outside / workshop garage, so when I do new main CU will split tails with henleys then have power in the event of main CU problem. Discrimination a good point though, hoping testing will show rcbo is faster than rcd, if not then all resolved with upgraded main CU as you said but this route the positives out way the negatives.
Don't know what to say to that really.

Haven't put someone else off have we. :( OP you seem suitably qualified, come back and discuss, there's a lot to learn from members here. Perhaps start at the beginning?

Haven't put someone else off have we. :( OP you seem suitably qualified, come back and discuss, there's a lot to learn from members here. Perhaps start at the beginning?
As said recently qualified and need to do a wider variety of work to increase confidence and test a wider variety of circuits. This idea seemed to tick a number of boxes, as it's my own house I'm not bothered about some duplication of work. Stroma have told I need to install two new circuits, but not a consumer unit change,. I haven't the diversity on the current CU to give me those circuits and if the CU is upgraded then I can see that causing me wider issues during the inspection. I still can get flustered during exams and stuff like that, whereas to my mind, this isn't a CU upgrade it is managing external electrics, so would qualify as new circuits. Appreciate what everyone is saying about upgrading the CU and I will do that when registered. Apart from the thought that an easier way is main cu did the original design for the additional read ok? And any advice on testing it?

If you are going to be assessed you need to be competent with testing and the use of test equipment.

I see what your saying if it's your house, so doing things twice doesn't matter.

However, I used a CU change in my first assessment. At the end of the day, the test procedure is the same, whether its two or twenty two circuits. I see you've done an inspection & testing course, so you just need to apply what you learnt on the course.

If you not confident at the moment, now's perhaps not the time to consider being assessed for scheme membership. Perhaps you should consider working for another sparks, to gain some more experience & confidence.

Reply to Adding a garage consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock