Discuss Adding an earth to a lamp holder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

GrantsonUK

Hi Guys

Recently I've come across a couple of lamps similar to this one

http://www.annabelstringer.com/imag...Classic-Baccaret-clear-glass-lamp_1_large.jpg

The chrome lamp holders are bonded into the glass bases and the cables enter through a hole in the side of the lamp holder rather than up trough the base of the lamp.

They are using old fashioned twisted pair cables with in line switches.

I know that having metal lamp holders they should be earthed, but the lamp holders don't have an earth terminal, or at least not one that's externally visible

I'm wondering if it is possible/acceptable to drill a 2nd hole in the holder and add a screw to attach the earth wire, or if it would need to be a replacement lamp holder, and if so if anyone has any thoughts on how to detach the existing ones from the glass base without damaging it?

Thanks
Grant

Hi Andy

Sorry the picture I used was an example of the style of lamp it was the closest I could find from a Google images search.
The ones I have been asked to pat test don't have the earth lug

Reply to Adding an earth to a lamp holder in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have been asked to rewire an antique metal standard lamp. It has been rewired previously, but not earthed..! One of the screws on the base has a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got an antique light fitting that for some reason she wants putting up (can't say I love it haha) however it didn't come with any...
Replies
Views
Earth to Neutral 2 ohm with Multimeter on alighting cct. The cable disconnected from the switchboard. I am new here and appreciate everyone...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post here, hope I'm compliant with the rules! I did do a quick search before asking this, but I couldn't quite come up with the...
Replies
Views
I have a couple of old metal/brass lamps to which adding an earthed lampholder would be tricky (either the entry for 3 wires is VERY small or the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock