Discuss Adding an extra fitting to 2 way switch?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DaW

Afternoon gents,

Basic electrical knowledge.
Just wondering can I add an extra light fitting off a 2 way light switch?
The switch has a neutral in the the box but I don't think it's the switch wire at the switch it's the permanent live?

Can I connect a 2 core cable from the neutral and and a sw live from the strapper? Would both lights come on at the same time??

Any advice would be fab

Show a pic of the switch wiring.
It's at my house I'm in work, I can take one later. I've got a 2 way circuit which switches 1 outside light, I'd like to add one other light fitting to the circuit and the position where I'd like to add another light is directly behind the switch.

The switch has a neutral at just wondering if the strapper would bring both lights on together?

If its a 2 way (No1+No2 switches)which uses a pair of strappers between the switches,then taking the outside light off switch No 2 would work
If its taken from switch No1 (where the live is connected) it will operate but not correctly as a 2 way

If the 2 way is wired as a conversion circuit (it has a 3 core between switches) it will work fine as long as you select the correct connection of either L2 or L3

Thanks for your replies.

Yes defo a neutral tithe switch box. I'm not a pro but just basic knowledge
What been done, it's a 3 gang switch he's taken a live off another switch and there's a 3 core I'm guessing going to the other switch? And neutral is in a connector block

Sounds to me the way it's wired, the "line he's taken off another switch" will go to L1, and the switch return to the light will come from L2. If that's the case you should have two cables in L1 and L2 each, and only one cable in common. And based on that, yes, you can take the switch return from L2 to another light.

Obvious disclaimer though, not guaranteeing this is how it is wired, a picture would help us massively.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes defo a neutral tithe switch box. I'm not a pro but just basic knowledge
What been done, it's a 3 gang switch he's taken a live off another switch and there's a 3 core I'm guessing going to the other switch? And neutral is in a connector block

Hum .... could just be an unused core on one of the cables...

No it's defo a neutral has blue sleeving on and is a connector block with 2 other blues...

Thank very much for replies... I'm guessing I can try it and see if it works or not

The lighting circuit sounds like it's been 2 plated firstly with the permanent feed and neutral wired to the switch. I wonder if the 3 core between the switches is a sleeved neutral and the two strappers. The other switch would simply have the two strappers from the 3 core and sleeved neutral. A two core cable being the switch line and neutral to the lights.

Reply to Adding an extra fitting to 2 way switch?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net