Discuss Adding identifing ledgends to the Report Post and Multi-Quote icons. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MarkieSparkie

Is it possible to have identifying legends added to the 'Report Post' and 'Multi-Quote' icons as they are probably under used as currently displayed.
Identifying the 'Report Post' icon in particular will hopefully have the beneficial effect of reducing the abuse posted by a minority of users, who currently believe they will get away with it due to under reporting by new and casual users who are not aware of its existence.

If you hover the mouse over any of the icons it will show up with what they're for.

However, I'll see if I can make it more clear.

The problem is, if we used a legend of some form it's likely to be missed when a user actually needs to use it as it wouldn't be added to very post in every thread where it would need to be. We'd need a "report this post" in bold text or something in each post for it to work as well as we'd like it to.

So I tend to find regular educating by way of a notice every now and again and whatnot works best usually.

Perhaps a link in the main menu to a page with a few useful bit of information on would work best for all.

Oh yes, never even noticed the multi-quote icon until you mentioned it Markie.

Dan, surely adding text to the "Report Post" and "Multi-Quote" icons would be just the same as what's already been done with "Thanks", "Blog this post", etc, or is it more complicated than that?

It woudn't fit in the orange bar that's dedicated for those buttons.

While I use a huge screen size, it's apparent when checking stats that most still don't. And you've probably yourself seen threads about the sidebar being too wide and getting in the way of images or whatever before now.

I'm trying to think of a way to inform people they're there but can't seem to come up with an easy fix that isn't just going to confuse people.

People who are used to forums will always know they're there no matter what version of forum software is used for a forum. It's pretty standard practice. But what I find is most of our members on our construction forums haven't even used a forum before so I can see where you're coming from.

I get 30 emails a day, easy, asking how to post a thread. If we plaster the place with too many instructions and words, it becomes a pain to see through them all to actually do something. The main things are "post a thread" "reply to thread" I think and those are as clear as I can get them.

Leave this one with me. But if you have any suggestions I'll certainly see if it's possible at least.

We could perhaps do with a thread explaining all these things which we then direct people to when they're struggling. But clearly only when people notice they need to report something would a chance come about to tell them. So it's a bit of a catch-22.

Maybe because I always read the forum using a 24" wide screen I'm not seeing the problems for other users with different hardware. I can understand this one as I run a few websites myself.

I am not sure how big a screen the majority of posters use but thought that it may be possible to have a graphic of text like these:
MultiQuote.jpgReportPost.jpg that may fit in the graphic space.
But it could be that the text would be to small to read once the screen is smaller, just a thought.

Reply to Adding identifing ledgends to the Report Post and Multi-Quote icons. in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock