Discuss Adding meter to 3 phase supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning..just wondering if anyone knows what the procedure is for adding an extra meter to a 3 phase supply?

I am renovating a shop into a cafe and at the moment there is 1 phase supplying a flat above the shop, 1 phase supplying the existing shop/new cafe and with the spare phase I want to add a 2nd consumer unit in the cafe.

Do I need to go through the DNS or can I do it myself and just inform the electricity providers that there is an extra meter?

Cheers

If the primary bill payer is going to "sub bill" the user of the new CU, just install your own meter to the distribution circuit for the new CU. No need to notify anyone as the meter will be privately owned by the consumer, and installed within the consumer's installation.

If the user of the new CU wants their own bill direct from the energy supplier, then the supplier will have to install a meter of their own.

The reason I want to do this, is that the new cafe is getting close to 100amps off thier 1 phase.

So the existing meter and the new one I want to put in need to be on the same bill.

The reason I want to do this, is that the new cafe is getting close to 100amps off thier 1 phase.

So the existing meter and the new one I want to put in need to be on the same bill.

Is that 100A the actual demand measured over a period of weeks via a load study or is it an instantaneous value from a clamp meter?

Sorry for the dumb question, but with a 3P supply to the installation isn't there a 3P meter already?

Not sure I understand the OP as well. It sounds like the shop currently has 2 phase going to it. One of the phases then goes to the flat above. I could be wrong.
If adding another phase the DNS would supply a 3 phase meter, wouldn't they..

There is a 3 phase supply coming into the building.

Phase 1 goes through a single phase meter then up to the flat cu via 100a isolator.

Phase 2 goes through another single phase meter to the existing shop cu.

Phase 3 is spare.

I am just designing the installation so no measurementsuch have been done.

There are electric heaters, electric water boilers, coffee machine, oven, etc so wanted use the spare phase for the 2nd consumer unit to split the load.

I would have thought that you can either get a 'new supply', with its own single phase meter installed on the 'spare' phase. Or get a three phase meter fitted (connected to all three phases) in place of the single phase one for the shop. (Don't know if they will allow a three phase meter plus a single phase one on the same supply cable.) Either way it needs to be done by the DNO, which will cost, but maybe not too much, as the supply is already there.

First you need the DNO to confirm the third phase is actually live, just because there's a cut out and or fuse on the end of it doesn't mean it is live.

Getting the Seal Fairies to investigate may not be a good idea on an unmetered supply, there may be questions asked.
Unless you already know it's live.

Secondly it's Energy suppliers that fit meters, so the customer then needs to contact their existing supplier for the additional meter.

Reply to Adding meter to 3 phase supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net