Discuss Adding single radial sockets to Ring as spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently completed an intensive electricians course and I am at the stage where I am trying to get practical experience wherever I can.

One of my jobs, which I am planning to use to join a competent person scheme, is to change my consumer unit and wire up my extension.

At present, I have two consumer units: one for the night storage heaters and the other for the remaining circuits. The economy 7 and night storage heaters have long been removed and converted into plug sockets, so I have four 16A mcbs devoted to mainly single plug sockets!

Ideally, I would like to replace the two consumer units for one unit. Disconnecting the second CCU from the Henley block will be straight forward as I have an isolator fitted after the meter.

Screwfix do a 10-way board with rcbos at a reasonable price which would be adequate if I can eliminate the four old storage heater circuit.

My plan is to go into the loft (we have a bungalow so all cabling is easily accessible) and connect the old storage heater sockets as spurs from the final ring circuit. Taking care to put in an FCU if there is more than one socket on each spur. That way the sockets can still be used and free up space on the board. I would then have enough spare slots for the ring and lighting circuit I will put into the extension.

I can't think of anything in the regulations which would prevent me doing this but would welcome advice from more experienced electricians as to whether this sounds like an appropriate solution. I feel it is safer to have all the sockets on the same circuit, as at present, someone can isolate the mcb for the ring but still have sockets live.

Any advice would be welcome.

It is always best to leave some spare ways at the board but I see nothing wrong with your plan to resupply the one gang sockets from the existing ring final circuit.

Thank you for your replies. I will have used 9 out of the 10 slots when all of the jobs are finished which does not leave much room for expansion. I will look into getting a bigger board.
I want to avoid wiring them into their own separate ring as I will either have to channel out the wall to each socket or spur off the new ring which is similar to my original solution but will need a bit more copper.

Agree with Murdoch if possible try and put them on a dedicated radial or ring main circuit feeding all heaters. If not possible then I would make sure every heater had a FCU fed as a spur from the ring final to connect the heater to. This will allow you to isolate an individual heater for any maintenance or upgrade without loosing the power to ring final circuit.

Just connect all 4 existing cables to a single RCBO - that's the most cost effective way to achieve anything ..... and its just a single circuit.

This also avoids unnecessary junction boxes and joints in the loft.....
That in my opinion is a terrible idea.

Terminating 4 2.5mm cables into one rcbo might be a tight but spreding the 4 cables over 2 rcbos would be better ,
you mention you would prefer sockets all on one circuit, ir would be much better to have more than on circuit for your sockets because if a fault develops on one circuit you will not loose power to all your sockets at once
Also if you have room look a getting a bigger consumer unit a 14 way probley want cost you much more,
Although your design of seperate rcbos is a good idea and beter than dual rcd split load board , it would be cheaper to go for a split load board and would be perfectly aceptable for a domestic environment

Ideally,he should keep each one as a separate radial,however,the guy has not many ways to play with and one circuit seems to be all he can afford

The single Rcbo would be a solution,with a joint in the consumer unit rather than elsewhere,thats if the 4 connections in the terminal of the Rcbo is problamatic

As Flanders said it's much better to have more than one circuit for your sockets, as long as the circuits are correctly labelled with enough detail if someone switches off the wrong breaker in the future,doesn't prove dead and gets a shock then they aren't competent to be touching electrics. For neatness and to make the CU that bit easier you could terminate the 4 'ex' storage heater cables in a suitable enclosure space permitting and just have a single cable feeding that from a dedicated MCB via RCD or RCBO.

Terminating the four radial circuits into one cable and dropping it down to its own MCB or RCBO would be a simple and tidy solution for our layout and would eliminate the need for a second consumer unit. While cost isn't a deciding factor I feel it would be a neater solution. I can also see the benefits of having them on their own separate circuit.
I looked at the 10-way Screwfix RCBO board which does expand up to 12 slots which would leave me with a three spare slots. However, I shall look around and may well go for MCB/RCD board option.

Thank you all for your advice.

Just a quick question . Did you change the tails around for your previous night storage heater board? If not the board will be supplied by an off peak supply and the sockets you have now will only work between 12pm and 7am? I usually go by the 20% rule, when installing consumer units. Leave 20% free for future upgrades.

Reply to Adding single radial sockets to Ring as spurs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock