Discuss Adding socket to radial in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Billybellfoot

Hi as above i currently have a Radial from CU in cupboard that powers one socket (powers 13a heater) outside the cupboard can i (DIY) add a new socket inside the cupboard between CU and existing socket? The intention to have a socket in that cupboard to power a chest freezer

Thanks for any support

Is the existing radial circuit 20A? Is it RCD protected?

This isn't an airing cupboard with the heater used inside it is it? If so I wouldn't put any kind of refrigeration appliance in a heated cupboard.

Is the existing radial circuit 20A? Is it RCD protected?

This isn't an airing cupboard with the heater used inside it is it? If so I wouldn't put any kind of refrigeration appliance in a heated cupboard.

Hi thanks for swift response. no its just an inside cupboard just inside porch door (maisonette no downstairs except that cupboard and the adjacent heater) ill show a pic for ref

Thanks again

Adding socket to radial 20161206_153539 - EletriciansForums.net

Adding socket to radial 20161206_155937 - EletriciansForums.net

Adding socket to radial 20161206_153539-1 - EletriciansForums.net

Adding socket to radial 20161206_153539-1 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi on the fuse box pic posted the fuse in question is the (lobby heater) proteus b20 i believe is a 20a as for rcd there are 2 rcd switches.

Yes is the answer.

Hi thanks for input westward is that YES it has rcd OR, YES it can be done adding an additional socket to radial between CU and existing socket at end of radial

Thanks

Both, yes it has rcd protection and you can add on either between the socket and CU or after the socket using a suitably sized cable which is probably 2.5.

or even take direct off the MCB, making sure you get the N in the correct N bar.

Both, yes it has rcd protection and you can add on either between the socket and CU or after the socket using a suitably sized cable which is probably 2.5.
would the existing cable given enough slack in it behind the dry wall be fit for the purpose. for the between CU and existing socket method (does this in theory make the existing heater socket a spur from the intended new socket if so does that method remain safe)

Thanks again

If you add direct from the MCB isn't that a new radial circuit and not an addition.

Last edited:
Of you add direct from the MCB isn't that a new radial circuit and not an addition.
No

I would advise the OP to get an electrician in to carry out this job as they will be able to test the circuit to verify its safety.

Ah yes thats correct as long as its the same MCB then its not a new circuit its an alteration.
Its a shame that the addition of a new MCB would be neater and provide circuit seperation but would then be a new circuit.
And yes of course the work would need the correct tests done to ensure safety so should be carried out by an electrician.

Hi here is a small diagram of what i have with a basic floor plan for info/ref and an idea of what i had intended with fig1 being the more obvious location for new socket. i am not qualified correct but i thought this was (diy level) adding one socket between cu and existing socket on that radial. maybe i underestimated the complexity of the job ?

Adding socket to radial 20161208_140512-1 - EletriciansForums.net

The physical install maybe ok but to test continuity and insulation resistance are ok and safe you need the right kit and how to use it. Hence safer to use an electrician.

The physical install maybe ok but to test continuity and insulation resistance are ok and safe you need the right kit and how to use it. Hence safer to use an electrician.

I do have a continuity tester and am willing to buy the kit required if i dont have it to hand.

Thanks again

You'll be looking at £500 minimum for a multi function tester to test the circuit in accordance with the wiring regulations. Then you need to know how to use it. Probably simpler to get an electrician in as you seem keen to do a proper job of this.

A normal continuity tester isn't normally suitable. Due to the high voltage and high current we need to measure to fractiins of an ohm. Most normal continuity meters are designed to just check continuity but not at the required accuracy.

Reply to Adding socket to radial in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock