Discuss Adding socket to radial in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi thanks again to all for input. so i now have conflicting responses a yes it can be done and it can be but only by a sparky with 500 plus kit ?. i really did think it was as simple as adding a socket. i recently isolated the heater socket to change from a fused faceplate to a socket faceplate so as i had a spare socket downstairs for say vacuming car etc. I assumed isolate that same heater socket and in turn the length of cable powering it cut into (dead) cable fit patress box wire in new socket faceplate and voila. i assumed cable etc wouldnt need continuity tests etc as its already running the heater with no problem ?

It is probably a straight forward job and you are correct it is not notifiable. What is also being said is that an electrician can test the circuit to ensure it's compliance/safety.

You can do what you like in your own house and it is a simple job. Other simple jobs can include changing the brakes on your car, stitching an open wound, and connecting a gas cooker. All of these jobs probably have information on the web on how to do them, and there are also professionals to do them for you.

Doesn't even connecting a gas cooker require corgi registration? I purchased a new cooker flexible hose and was advised only a registered installer could fit it.

Ah yes thats correct as long as its the same MCB then its not a new circuit its an alteration.
Its a shame that the addition of a new MCB would be neater and provide circuit seperation but would then be a new circuit.
And yes of course the work would need the correct tests done to ensure safety so should be carried out by an electrician.
That's open to debate.

Hi thanks again all input is much appreciated. so the socket being added in the way ive stated is the correct approach (would any of you approach it differently?), and assuming the continuity is ok as the heater is wired to that radial fitted by a sparky so i assume he wouldnt of fitted that to a length of cable that lacked the required continuity. basing alot on assumption of the competence of the qualified sparky maybe ?

Thanks again to all that chipped in ill order the bits and go ahead with it.

Bill

Reply to Adding socket to radial in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net