Discuss Advice needed on a Power Adapter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nuttycomputer

Hi..
I have a Freeview Box with a external Power Adapter which I plug into the back
Its 5v 1200mA

Its failing as it runs for about 15mins then switches off the Freeview Box, even used a voltmeter on it and it drops from 5v to about 3 ( so it is the Power Adapter and not the Freeview box)
I've used a smaller Power Adapter which is can be set for 3 - 8.4v and this seems to run fine with the Freevew box, now it does state on the this adapter that at 5v its mentions on the label 2.5A and at 6v 2.2A

It seems to run the Freeview box fine, I just need to know will it put a strain on the smaller adapter and be a problem or would it cope ok ?

The old adapter looks bigger in size compared to this smaller one..

This new adapter is intended to run quite a good range of electrical devices (Digital Cameras, Keyboards,..etc.etc)

I have enclosed a photo of the OLD Failed adapter ( BLACK 5v 1200mA)

and a photo of my spare Multi Adapter ( SILVER )

Any views would be helpful please...

NEW (SILVER) and OLD ADAPTER (BLACK)

Advice needed on a Power Adapter {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

NEW ADAPTER SPECS:

OLD ADAPTER (BLACK) SPECS:

Last edited by a moderator:
Multi adaptor should be fine mate, check if it gets abnormally warm after being used for a while, but should be ok

After 3hrs it was only slightly warm,, nothing abnormal there,, nothing hot, will continue to monitor..
Works Great !!
Thanks for the advice Spudmiester :)

Regards
NC...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advice needed on a Power Adapter in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock