Discuss Advice needed on Outdoor LED tree lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

raymonddaly

Hi All,

I've recently installed LED tree lighting on outside trees at a local shopping centre. There are 27 sets each with a power output of 27 watts each. They have been installed using a ip68 outdoor commando socket and plug to protect against the elements. They are fed from a type b 6 amp breaker and wired on 1 circuit on a 2.5mm hi tuff on a 120 metre run. My calculations were as follows:

Design load:
27 sets
x 27 watts
= 729 watt
/230
= 3.16amp

so by my calculations I think I have everything covered, however here's my problem- from day one these lights have gave me problems with the AC to DC inverters on the lights burning out and going on fire causing the mcb to trip out. Of course the manufacturer is blaming the spark and the spark is blaming the manufacturer and we are getting nowhere. Has anyone any experience with these type lighting installations? Everything electrically is testing out and EFLI and VD has been verified to meet regs. Does anyone know does LED lights have high inrush currents or any special wiring requirements?

The Led tree lights were supplied with a plug with 3amp fuse which was cut off and replaced by a commando plug with no fuse protection. The circuits only protection by by means of 6 amp mcb.

All help welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Were the AC-DC power supplies purchased as seperate items or were they supplied asan integral component of the light sets? Where are the power supplies mounted? What's your take on the cause of them burning? Are they overheating or could there be a condensation problem? Have you got any photos you can attach to give usa better idea of the installation?

Hi there,

The AC to DC power supplies came as part of the lights, the power supplies are mounted 2.25m from ground on the the tree trunks, I reckon there is an overheating problem which is coming from AC/DC inverter causing it to burn up and short out. There is no condensation involved here but they are outside and are subject to outdoor elements eg. Water. The fittings are ip44 so shouldn't be a problem

See below a photo of a connector which had burned out. This is the only photo I have at the moment, can put some more up tomorrow.

. Advice needed on Outdoor LED tree lighting image - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Advice needed on Outdoor LED tree lighting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock