Discuss Advice needed on panel Access please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Romans99

competent staff accessing panels....

Hi guys,
I would appreciate some advice and opinions on this one please,
I think we all know the "common sense" answers here but anything to back this up either way would be appreciated.

Lets suppose i have an Electrical Panel,
single phase, containing supply, contactors and switching for a hydraulic system.
This is located in a locked room.

It is technically a service panel and has to be opened with a "T" shaped key (but we all know wedging a screwdriver/front door key etc will do the job)
The panel door is not interlocked with an isolator or rotary switch and can open with the contents still "live"

Inside the panel is a service switchkey which enables you to override the automatic control located elsewhere.

Lets suppose there is a failure of the automatic controls and there is the need to override and operate manually.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this when it comes to
  • competency
  • risk
  • avoiding the downtime/loss of use

bearing in mind, the panel door has to be opened in order to press the service button which is a simple green push button type.

interested to know what you think....

I think if you have the skills and experience to know what to do in this situation then you should know not to shove ya fingers in the live bits.

These things have to be "reasonably practical" and if someone who is not authorised breaks into a panel using a improvised key then electrocutes themselves there is not much you can do.

improve the security so that panel can only be opened with a dedicated key, only competent persons having access to key.

Last edited:
Its located in a locked room and you need a key or a tool to access the live parts. Only compotent people should be accessing it or have access to the room so I'd say that reduces the risk. Avoiding downtime?, Are you asking if anyone should be able to access this rather than waiting for a competent person.

Its located in a locked room and you need a key or a tool to access the live parts. Only compotent people should be accessing it or have access to the room so I'd say that reduces the risk. Avoiding downtime?, Are you asking if anyone should be able to access this rather than waiting for a competent person.

With regards to downtime...
I mean if somebody takes it upon themselves to open the door and press the button, is the risk great enough for me to warrant a total ban on anybody doing so.
What would count as a competent person and with regards to this being "reasonably practicable" is there the need to provide additional locks etc when the "its your own fault" factor could apply.

It comes back to barriers and enclosures etc...

Interesting replies though thanks a lot

Sorry, Just realized you are in Canada so obviously your rules and regs are different to ours.
But you need to weigh up the following:

A= The damage that could occur if someone does something wrong
B= The chances of that happening.

Someone who is competent will know how to use this machinery, how to maintain it properly and most importantly know the safety requirements of it.
Only people with that knowledge and skill should have access to override controls IMO.
Anyone else should be prevented from gaining access to such controls and prevented from being subjected to electric parts etc.

There is nothing wrong with having the electrics locked inside a suitable enclosure as long as they do not have a key.
If they for whatever reason decide to go into that panel with a improvised key and without permission that is then their fault.
This is no different to having a machine control box mounted next to unskilled staff which will be locked by the same kind of key.

With regards to downtime...
I mean if somebody takes it upon themselves to open the door and press the button, is the risk great enough for me to warrant a total ban on anybody doing so.
What would count as a competent person and with regards to this being "reasonably practicable" is there the need to provide additional locks etc when the "its your own fault" factor could apply.

It comes back to barriers and enclosures etc...

Interesting replies though thanks a lot

I would say only competent people should be able to access this locked room. If that's so then there isn't really a need for extra locks. I would count anyone who has the specific training/knowledge to carry out the job safely and know the risks as competent.

This is based on your limited info.

If anyone can get into the room and open the panel and this is happening then there is a risk isn't there?...

If access to the keys to the room are controlled in the same manner as a key to the panel in question would be then it will not really be any different.

However if the room is also used for storing the next years supply of bog roll and floor polish etc and the key hangs on the nail outside or tucked on top of the architrave etc then you may need to look at securing the panel a bit better.

I assume the concern here is assuring that the override is only operated by someone who knows how to check the basics of what has stopped the system working and make an assessment of if it is safe to just override it for whatever reason.

Whatever happened to survival of the fittest?! If some ice cream is gonna go poking their feelers into a potentially live panel, secured and clearly marked as such, then in my eyes they deserve what they get!

How are we ever to advance as a human race if stupidity is lurking around every corner? Darwinism people... DARWINISM!!!

I believe the government have outlawed darwinism along with common sense and independant thought. It posed a risk to them staying in power and continuing to nick all our money.

Reply to Advice needed on panel Access please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net