Discuss Advice needed - problem electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

good point. if he's purporting to be when he's not, then maybe niceic could get off their fat arses and respond.
Tried this recently they wanted photographic proof like their logo on a van, said this wasn't possible and they left it at that no further investigation.

Although i wholeheartedly agree,with the sympathies expressed,it only strengthens my original belief,that relying on people guaranteed by an organisation,that is paid by said people,is flawed.....and the same is true,for checkatrader ;)

The painful truth is,that without any written schedule/contract or agreement,most of what has been described and shown,could easily be argued away,and the liability shifted.

If as described,your situation is worthy of sympathy,but aesthetics aside,i would be more concerned regarding other,more fundamental errors,hidden now,such as why there are nervous RCD's,etc.

As suggested,a recommended electrician,from out of the area,if needed,paid independently,to assess where you are at this point.

some times it the other way round ,do a good job for a customer& don't get paid .
been their & brought the t shirt. try trade and standards they might help.

A pal set-up,SE,about four years back,and joined all those vacuous sales portals....at the time,i told him,he would be better off finding one,that cleared and recommended customers..."What yer on about?...i think you've got it backwards..." he replied.

A recent conversation with him,revealed he now knows "exactly" what i meant :cool:

I'd volunteer, but it's 70 miles each way, so I'd need to charge additional to cover this. If OP is willing to pay a bit more, then I'm available to give an unbiased report.

I would rate that as a generous and possibly economical offer.

At least the OP has the opportunity of researching Tel's input and history,and more confidence of being presented with an honest and realistic assessment.

....Just better check your history,Tel,see if you've ever cut an impromptu floor hatch,using a thermal-lance...;)

...Just better check your history,Tel,see if you've ever cut an impromptu floor hatch,using a thermal-lance...

thermal lance... too technical for me. semtex is easier. ;););):eek:

I'm only 20 mins away from Poulton but fully booked next week then away on holiday for a week.

You are correct that the certificate should be issued to you irregardless of any payment due. Any electrician should know this, that they may not deny the certificate due to payment due. It is clear from the pictures that the work quality and other description of failure of circuits indicates that the level of competence is very low.
What can you do? Legal avenue? Lot of money and more stress with very low chance of satisfaction. Existing contractor performs contract fully, I don't think so I wouldn't let him near your house never mind mine. Apart from the poor workmanship there is very real danger of harm resulting from incorrect wiring. A couple of things you have said I find quite alarming. Perhaps speak with building control in the local council?
You will have to bite the bullet and get a contractor in to test existing wiring and rectify/finish work. Costly? yes but the alternatives are unthinkable (above) I am sad to say that failure of performance on contract/building work is endemic. The remedies poor and unsatisfactory. It would be most informative to examine the certificate when and if you get it though. This would tell us a lot lot more about your situation if you can possibly do that?

I don't want to sound trite but you did mention "on Checkatrade"..
You know that means he's paid best part of £1000 a year as a small business to get on their list? Bunch of leeches IMO. Their trading currency is the removal of genuine earned and voiced goodwill, in favour of a system which traders have to buy into or get left out in the cold.
I'm not biassed, of course not. Yes, what a marvelous organization... One day I may need to get sucked into the same pit of desperation if the work dries up (Many of my potential customers going straight to same expensive "Trusty Bloke" sites).

I could do it , but im on a another
Planet!
Deleted
I don't want to sound trite but you did mention "on Checkatrade"..
You know that means he's paid best part of £1000 a year as a small business to get on their list? Bunch of leeches IMO. Their trading currency is the removal of genuine earned and voiced goodwill, in favour of a system which traders have to buy into or get left out in the cold.
I'm not biassed, of course not. Yes, what a marvelous organization... One day I may need to get sucked into the same pit of desperation if the work dries up (Many of my potential customers going straight to same expensive "Trusty Bloke" sites).
I did mention earlier that as soon as I saw checkatrade my BP went up, post13, how right you are Justin.

Reply to Advice needed - problem electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock