Discuss Advice on EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

PAD66

-
Reaction score
Hi

Just had a call from a customer asking can I do a EICR on his new extension, apparently the builder has fallen out with the electrician who installed it and the work needs testing before the LABC will sign it off. Under the agreed limitations would you state that condition and fixing of the of the cabling is unable to be verified, would you put anything regarding the design of the circuit. Not sure if I want to do the job as I don't Know what has gone on between the builder and the electrician who installed it.

Thanks
Paul.

you could use a 3 signature EIC, with the builder signing for design and install. you sign for test/inspection. if LABC will accept a EICR, do it as you would usually do it, but if you can't see where cables have been routed, it's a N/V or a LIM. with a note in comments.

You don't need to put about the design as it's only a condition report, you aren't taking responsibility for all that.

It also mentions on the EICR about cables concealed in walls etc have not been inspected but you could put on your condition report visible parts of installation only covered or along them lines.

Just go about it like a normal condition report as that's what you've been asked to do.

I would suggest to the customer that they contact the sparky directly (assuming he exists) and get him to come back and do the cert.

Did a PIR about 10 years ago for a similar situation (the company I was working for at the time organised it) It opened a can of worms as it was not accepted and went on for months arguing between customer and company

The LABC normally don't except AN EICR for a new install could get messy

The LABC will accept EICR's for rewires/installs......well in Bradford and Leeds anyway...Ive done several of them where the "sparky" has done the rewire/install and then not notified!!! As long as its a 100% EICR, the LABC will accept it.

P.s. The customer must phone the LABC first to confirm but there's usually no problems.

Thanks for the advice, I will call and have a look and try to find out what has gone on before I commit to anything. The last thing I want to do is open a can of worms when I have just started out.

Reply to Advice on EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net