Discuss advice on invoicing software in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tapouchoke

Hi all,
Just wanted some advice on invoicing software,
Which one do you use?? How do you rate them?
Have been using invoice2go but find it a bit flaky and it is too easy to trash all of your invoices in about 4 clicks, backups arnt perfect hence need a new program
All thoughts and advice appreciated
Thanks
TapouT

You could try Intuit Quickbooks:

Compare QuickBooks Products at a Glance | QuickBooks® UK

I started with the free version and very quickly upgraded to the "Pro" version.

Not only will this do your invoicing but it will manage your customer database, estimates, invoices and all suppliers transactions. It takes a little while to get used to but a very useful tool especially as the reporting will show you profitablility of your jobs, etc, etc.

The software allows you to set up templates for estimates and invoices, you can use your own images to personalise the documents and it will convert them to PDF files and attach them to emails (you need Microsoft outlook!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TapouT

We use Sage Line 50 - with several bolt ons (around £5k worth of Sage software in the end). They were offering interest free over twelve months on a lot of their stuff too. We chose it in the end because we needed a fairly robust system, which would link to other things like Excel, CRM, job costing and so on. Our accountants also had an input into the decision, as they're (theoretically) the ones who will end up sorting out the mess we make of it!!!!

They do offer a free version too, as someone has mentioned - I think it literally just does invoicing and nothing else.

Depending on your needs, you could simply use Excel or something, by setting up a template, and saving it each time with a different file number, and then running a fairly simple "day" sheet to reckon your income and outgoings - there really isn't any point in having accounts software for the sake of it.

Sage do a small user accounts package too - Instant accounting, and that seems to be worthwhile for any small business with a turnover under say £250k, again, depending on the functionality required.

I have to say that I got put off Quickbooks some time ago - they had a big presence a few years back, then just seemed to disappear. It seems they're back now though - and it also seemed very "US-centric" for my liking.

Can't say I've heard of the one you mentioned - but with Sage, certainly, once committed, it won't ever lose a thing (not even the odd penny off the VAT!!!).

Key criteria ought to be: reliability, support, functionality, ease of use.

It really depends a lot on what you want to do, the volume you need to produce, and what you need to do with the data once you've entered it.

depends on the business size. I personally use a duplicate book with a stamp containing co mane and contact details. that way I can invoice while at the job and take payment away with me, much better for cash flow and credit control.
have used excel with a different tab for each invoice as well and a file per year. much better than any accounts package I have tested.
if i must use an accounts package it would be quick books, they also do a free version for smal businesses.

Reply to advice on invoicing software in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net