Currently reading:
Advice On Rewire Of Lighting Circuit

Discuss Advice On Rewire Of Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just had some work carried our to rewire a lighting circuit in my house due to it having no earthing.

The lighting circuit is the original lighting circuit that was installed when the house was built in the 50's which was ran in steel conduit.

We now want to fit metal accessories but obviously require earthing for this to be safe so a rewire of this circuit is required & to be honest has been way overdue for replacement anyway.

Like most people I did not fancy chasing all the walls out to install new cables so asked the electrician if the steel conduit already plastered into the walls could be used saving the need to chase the walls out & redecoration.

He said that would not be an issue after looking over the installation as there would be enough room for the new cabling to be fed down the old conduit which was great news.

When he came to install the new cabling here found that he could not install the twin & earth cabling with the sheath attached as there was not enough room inside the conduit.

His solution was to strip the sheath from the twin & earth cabling and then wrap all the individual wires together in electrical insulation tape.

Removing the sheath created the room required to be able to feed the cables down the existing conduit.

Where the conduit ends in the loft space he left the sheath on the cables & the ran them to a junction box.

Here are some pictures of the junction box in the loft space & the tops of where the conduit for the switch drops end.
Upstairs Lighting Junction Box 1.JPG

Upstairs Lighting Junction Box 2.JPG

Upstairs Lighting Junction Box 4.JPG

Switch drop in loft 1.JPG

Switch drop in loft 2.JPG

The same lighting circuit also covers not only the upstairs bedrooms but the landing, hallway & dining room lighting so cables needed to be ran under the landing floor boards & junction boxes installed.

Here are some pictures of the junction boxes under the landing floorboards.
Landing Lighting Junction Boxes 1.JPG

Landing Lighting Junction Boxes 2.JPG

Landing Lighting Junction Boxes 4.JPG

Landing Lighting Junction Boxes 3.JPG

So my question is are there any issues with how this work has been carried out?

I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but I would really appreciate your input.

Many thanks

Adam

So would removing the 4.0mm2 T&E cable allow enough space to meet the 45% space requirement?

Also would you guy know what the regulation is called or the number?

I have a strong feeling what response I am going to get from the electrician when I mention this but I will try.

Short answer NO.
BS7671 Guidance note 3, page 28 2.6.3 Conduit Systems paragraph 3 Recommended quantity of cables for easy draw not exceeded during installation causing insulation damage; .......... Item should be inspected during the erection stage as the care and workmanship of the installer can be verified (522.8.1 and see On-Site Guide Appendix E)

My spoon has just worn out.

Last edited:
Short answer NO.
BS7671 Guidance note 3, page 28 2.6.3 Conduit Systems paragraph 3 Recommended quantity of cables for easy draw not exceeded during installation causing insulation damage; .......... Item should be inspected during the erection stage as the care and workmanship of the installer can be verified (522.8.1 and see On-Site Guide Appendix E)

My spoon has just worn out.

Many thanks for your time, help & patience.

Looks like I will be on the search for another electrician to put all these issues right which will be interesting as I am sure many will not want to put right another persons cock up.

Thanks again to everyone who has participated in this thread & for your input & advice.

Reply to Advice On Rewire Of Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock