Discuss Advice on taking a bold step please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. Its been a long time since I have been on the forum...I came here for some DIY advice and was I suppose I got the correct replies suggesting I dont touch ...get an electrician. I understand that.
Im now here to ask how hard it is to BECOME a qualified electrician. I have decided to walk away from cutting down trees full time...as the work no longer offers me and my family any security.
Anyway... I am worried about going in to training...(probably south devon college) because I doubt my maths skills...science skills too apparently....Im not thick...but Im no mathmatical genius either.
I just hoped that maybe a few people could offer me some advice on whats involved...how hard it might get as far as the maths / science goes...please.
The course is quite expensive for an adult learner ..I just dont want to make the wrong decision.
Thank you
Daniel

There is a fair quantity of maths to be used in order to understand electrical theory,however, its not maths for the sake of maths,the maths you need should be attained relatively easily during the course of your training

Although its a trade that relies on mathematics for a true understanding,the level required is certainly not beyond the average guy

As for the maths... There was a person on a course I did who was convinced he could not do the maths. However the teacher (ex army teaching electrics) said don't worry I'll knock into your head before you leave here. He turned out to be top of the class. It is like all new things, it is tricky at first but when you listen then do worked examples it is accessible. It very much depends on who your teacher is. There are some brilliant on line resources, including this forum that can shoehorn you into stuff you may not get at first. So go boldly where no man has gone before! Well some men have, well ...in fact quite a lot and if they can do it, you can do it.

It's tricky to answer your question because everyone has different levels. I could say it's easy maths, someone else could come say it's difficult - it's all a bit subjective and probably wouldn't help you any.

Best advice I can say is get hands on experience. I'm a bit of a book worm and when I was starting out I read every book going. However, the contents of it didn't really start sinking in until I could begin to apply it through hands on experience. And that will apply to maths, everything you do just try and apply it practically and it will all become a whole lot easier

Perhaps a little additional context might help.
The maths and science both require a fairly high degree of understanding but it is not assumed that everyone starting the course has the same level of understanding.
If you feel you don't understand something, ask. The person delivering the course is there to explain. They will almost certainly have heard the question before and no question is a stupid question.
Further to that, if you think you don't understand there will be others in the class who also don't understand but don't feel confident enough to ask the question.
Do the course.
Ask questions.
Move forward.

The actual mechanics of the maths is quite easy it's getting your head round the terminology, units of measurement and the relationship between them. There are some good teachers out there and there are some good sparks who are not good teachers. Some very knowledgable people on here too. Good luck.:D

Thank you all very much for the advice. Im going to go for it I think...Im looking forward to it actually. I like a challenge...and enjoy learning more now than I did as a kid...Just need to find someone that wants to take on a 40 year old apprentice :-(
Thank you all again for your advice. I appreciate it.

also ...can anyone suggest a few websites for getting to grips with maybe course content ? or the maths involved....a good book for a complete novice to read ?
Anything at all that you maybe know now you could have benefited from reading ..learning etc etc.
Thanks again

Emerse yourself in the subject, lots of good books out there to assist with courses and exams. Get on the trainee section here.

If I were in your boots I would not make my priority qualifications and courses just yet

Make employment in the industry your main goal,as a electricians mate or becoming an apprentice
Think about dishing out hard earned money when the courses you want to purchase will assure you of meeting your goal
Probably getting access to sites via a cscs card would help more than being on some expensive and often needless course

The only reason Im thinking to get straight on a course is because of my age...get a qualification behind to help me get a job..or an apprenticeship....but I am looking now for Electricians mates etc....
Is there a better way of finding a that kind of position than looking through indeed and various other job sites ?
Im going to start asking people around where I live etc but just wondered if there was a site or forum on here even ...that advertises for mates etc.
Thanks again

Being completely honest I agree with those advising to get a job first because the qualifications don't help as much as you'd think when setting out. It's an unfortunate truth that you're unlikely to get an apprenticeship position at your age and companies don't seem to want to take on older trainees etc. If you can find someone to take you on you'll be away. Then get the qualifications with some experience behind you to help you move on.

Reply to Advice on taking a bold step please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net