Discuss Advice on V Phase Voltage Optimisation Units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jenny8678

Hi I am looking for some advice and guidance with regards to the V Phase Voltage Optimisation Unit which I have been advised to have installed at my property.
Could anyone give me their views on this product and if it is worth spending the money as an investment ?
I have found one on trades supermarket vphase vx1 and would appreciate it if anyone could advise me of anywhere cheaper ?
Thanks for your help
Jenny:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly Jenny in a domestic installation I don't think they are worth the material they use to make them with.

They normally have a cutout on any appliance over 20amp in other words the high energy using appliances such as electric showers, cookers etc will just literally turn these units off. Also most smaller appliances such as an Iron or a kettle will take proportionally longer to work on a lower voltage.

They can be useful used as a surge protection device to protect sensitive equipment such as computers, but at 180 pounds there are a lot cheaper ways to protect your equipment.

My advice would be not to get it

Last edited:
My advice would be not to get it

Exactly, what you achieve from these is anyones guess ?

As most of the power using stuff is thermostatically controlled (kettles etc.) it just means they are on for longer!, so no savings here, and any electronic equipment would just pull more current to achieve the same output (as in voltage wrt electronic ballasts etc.) you cannot break the laws of physics.

As they won't work above 20A, whats the point ?

They can be useful used as a surge protection device to protect sensitive equipment such as computers, but at 180 pounds there are a lot cheaper ways to protect your equipment.

I actually rang and asked VPhase about this a few months ago, and they themselves said that the uniits do not respond quickly enough to protect against surge.

Jenny - spend the money on some decent quality led lights instead, free cheese comes on mousetraps!!

I actually rang and asked VPhase about this a few months ago, and they themselves said that the uniits do not respond quickly enough to protect against surge.

Jenny - spend the money on some decent quality led lights instead, free cheese comes on mousetraps!!

Cheers Rockingit I never knew that, so it is even more useless than I thought

Hi Jenny, They are about as useful as a Christmas cracker novelty toy. The company's energy saving claims are highly dubious, not much better than a cheap magic act with smoke and mirrors.

We're obviously keen to address misconceptions and incorrect statements about our product when we see it being discussed on forums such as this, so I'll hopefully be able to address the points that have been raised in a clear and concise manner.

Firstly, reference is made to electric cookers and showers causing the unit to go into bypass. In actual fact, the installation instructions (available on the VPhase web site HERE), specifies that resistive heating circuits should be excluded from being optimised as no savings can be made on these types of circuits. Therefore, electric cookers, showers and immersion heaters should not be optimised by VPhase. A further misconception related to this, is that these appliances account for the largest energy use in a property, but research carried out by DECC (July 2010) indicated that over 67% of a home's electrical consumption is typically from lighting and appliances - and these are things that VPhase voltage optimisation can and does make savings on. Whilst no savings can be made on irons or kettles that are plugged into optimised ring main circuits, and they will have to be on slightly longer to reach the desired temperature, they also won't lose money or cost more to operate.

The VPhase does not include full surge protection that can protect the home from transient surges and spikes, but as it stabilises the output voltage, it does help reduce the impact of fluctuating voltage supply.

The Which? article is something that is brought up from time to time - and an issue that we have responded to. A full response is available HERE. In short, the Which? report did not conduct a thorough assessment of the product in its intended use and also drew unfair comparisons. For example, one of the principle reasons it suggested that the VPhase should be avoided was because the payback period (at up to 5 years) was too lengthy; yet in the same article, they also recommend Double Glazing, with a payback period typically over 10 years and a much higher capital outlay to the homeowner. VPhase has always been up front about the expected payback period (3 - 5 years), although with the continuing increases in electricity prices, this is reducing all of the time.

VPhase has gone to great lengths to test its product and have the results independently assessed and published. It has undertaken trials with Ofgem, British Gas, SSE and many social housing associations throughout the UK. Where possible, these results have been published on the VPhase web site. The savings claims have been independently assessed and demonstrated typical energy savings of up to 12%.

Our technical training video is scheduled for release on the 1st December. It includes a practical/technical installation guide and a Q&A session and will be available through our YouTube channel HERE. It should address many of the questions and concerns that are raised by electrical installers.

thank you vpahse for replying to a subject that comes up a lot,,,, is there a 3 phase version out yet, as this is where you would get 20A of lighting??? and can see considerable savings here and maybe a possible savings..

people dont see electrics as necesity in keeping upto date as doesnt do that much for there sight of hard earned cash to be spent on.. where if you get new windows , they go oo look at my new windows.. you get my drift...

also if you look at one way like of myself where im 10-15 pounds a week electricty thats £1.20-£1.50 a week saving if you can get top end out of your device.....

for nearly a £300 device+ installed

We have actually published some information on the VPhase web site about 3 phase supplies and where/how VPhase can work with this. You can view the info HERE.

In short, the answer is that VPhase don't have a 3 phase version available, but the current VPhase can work with 3 phase supplies as long as the installer is selective over the circuits being optimised.

We're obviously keen to address misconceptions and incorrect statements about our product when we see it being discussed on forums such as this, so I'll hopefully be able to address the points that have been raised in a clear and concise manner.

Firstly, reference is made to electric cookers and showers causing the unit to go into bypass. In actual fact, the installation instructions (available on the VPhase web site HERE), specifies that resistive heating circuits should be excluded from being optimised as no savings can be made on these types of circuits. Therefore, electric cookers, showers and immersion heaters should not be optimised by VPhase. A further misconception related to this, is that these appliances account for the largest energy use in a property, but research carried out by DECC (July 2010) indicated that over 67% of a home's electrical consumption is typically from lighting and appliances - and these are things that VPhase voltage optimisation can and does make savings on. Whilst no savings can be made on irons or kettles that are plugged into optimised ring main circuits, and they will have to be on slightly longer to reach the desired temperature, they also won't lose money or cost more to operate.

The VPhase does not include full surge protection that can protect the home from transient surges and spikes, but as it stabilises the output voltage, it does help reduce the impact of fluctuating voltage supply.

The Which? article is something that is brought up from time to time - and an issue that we have responded to. A full response is available HERE. In short, the Which? report did not conduct a thorough assessment of the product in its intended use and also drew unfair comparisons. For example, one of the principle reasons it suggested that the VPhase should be avoided was because the payback period (at up to 5 years) was too lengthy; yet in the same article, they also recommend Double Glazing, with a payback period typically over 10 years and a much higher capital outlay to the homeowner. VPhase has always been up front about the expected payback period (3 - 5 years), although with the continuing increases in electricity prices, this is reducing all of the time.

VPhase has gone to great lengths to test its product and have the results independently assessed and published. It has undertaken trials with Ofgem, British Gas, SSE and many social housing associations throughout the UK. Where possible, these results have been published on the VPhase web site. The savings claims have been independently assessed and demonstrated typical energy savings of up to 12%.

Our technical training video is scheduled for release on the 1st December. It includes a practical/technical installation guide and a Q&A session and will be available through our YouTube channel HERE. It should address many of the questions and concerns that are raised by electrical installers.

Jolly good then, all is rosey in the garden.
I attended one of your "training days". I was thoroughly unimpressed by the load of over complicated useless tosh that was on offer.
Voltage regulation has been around for donkeys years and its not installed in domestic dwellings becuase it doesnt work. This has now all changed due to the lets save some cash green energy drive. What this has done is open up a whole new market for the sharper ones amongst us to make money out of those less blessed.
Ask yourself this Jenny, how many on here have said "what a good idea". None apart from the bloke selling it, nuff said.

I'm still not sure how having a 3kw kettle working for longer will actually not cost you more, when we use KwH units in the UK.

Also not sure how much damage or lessening the lifespan of a resistive load at a lower voltage that it was designed for will do to that appliance, such as an iron or kettle. Most elements still on the UK market are rated for 240 volts, and by dropping it's efficiency by nearly 10% is not doing it much good.

Finally with the advent of LED lighting becoming more prevalent in the domestic market, it will be interesting to see how much these will out perform the savings that cna be made by using this equipment.

I attended one of your "training days". I was thoroughly unimpressed by the load of over complicated useless tosh that was on offer.
Voltage regulation has been around for donkeys years and its not installed in domestic dwellings becuase it doesnt work. This has now all changed due to the lets save some cash green energy drive. What this has done is open up a whole new market for the sharper ones amongst us to make money out of those less blessed.
Ask yourself this Jenny, how many on here have said "what a good idea". None apart from the bloke selling it, nuff said.

You cant get it more to the point than the above post

The visit by the V phase rep is a necessary response to the glut of negative comments being made,by the way, they are informed comments that cast aside spin and over optimistic claims by the makers

The unimfored and some in our industry, who see this as opportunity for easy money, will persuade you of its value
You have had enough information to make an informed decision yourself

Remember the electricians answering your question have done so with no self gain and no axe to grind, as the motive for the replies

What strikes me is, in the main the people on this board are electricians. Non seem to advocate fitting these units even though there is money to be made installing them.
It shows (to me) there is honesty amongst our members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Was this training to install it or sell it

If this is so good why are the utility companies not pushing it

The statement from vphase says it all

There appears to be no value in these tests are they do not appear to have been conducted under like for like laboratory conditions and to "pass" the results to a third party for verification could ruin someones credibility. Do people live the same lifestyle everyday of every week of every year in order to have any meaning there would have to be exact pre and post vphase installation tests to be of any worth

I find this quite a claim without any substance
Quote from vphase website
One digital cordless phone showed an extraordinary saving of 44%
How many would be taken in by it

I cannot find any thing on the vphase site that would convince me to use or recommend this product as no matter how I twist the Power Equation I still come out with the same result, so unless domestic properties now need power factor correction due to high inductive or capacitive loads and that is what it provides I can't actually see what this device does as reducing the voltage only increases current or has Ohms law had a recent amendment in line with the regs

I notice that "Jenny" came on here and asked a one off question with a link to the V-phase, the rep came on later with a rebuke to negative comments
Is it just me or was the thread an attempt to use the forum for publicity

Given there has been no response from the original poster

Reply to Advice on V Phase Voltage Optimisation Units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock