Discuss Advice on what courses / training centres in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stu_C

Hi all
I am 31 years old and looking at a change of direction in my career, I have been looking at a while now on electrical courses to become a fully qualified electrician with Part P etc, one main issue is that I cannot stop my current job due to finances (mortgage etc) so looking at either doing an evening, online or a course that I can do in 3 weeks or so (take off as annual leave).

I have found a few different companies
* Trade skills 4 U are saying from start to finish is 18days for a certified domestic which seems very short?

* Skills Bug - its all online for a years course, surely you need to do practical at some point?

also a few others with the same type of format.

unfortunately I live in Milton Keynes and does not seem to be much local, also a few others, just wondering the best way forward?

many thanks
Stuart

Don't think those courses you mention would make you a fully qualified Electrician, a Domestic Installer maybe, but don't get me started please it could become unpleasant.

Take a few minutes to use the forum search and look for similar threads, there are plenty.
Think of how you are going to gain the experience required to become employable and maintain your income.

Stu,

I like you decided to pursue a change of career. I have taken the Level 2 and 3 C&G 2365 and 17th Edition. I did/am doing my training at Able Skills. They offer weekend courses and home study courses as well as accommodation (it is in Dartford Kent)

I am 4 weeks away from finishing the Level 3 and have started to apply for jobs. I am finding it difficult to get someone to take me on as I have limited experience.

Fortunately for me I am in a situation where I can take lower money to gain the experience. Also I would prefer to learn from an experienced electrician after all there is only so much a training course can teach you.

My advice to you would be secure a job with someone first before you decide to re-train, especially as you have a mortage etc to cover.

It also depends what area you want to work in . i.e Domestic or Commercial/ Industrial.

Do you have any prior electrical knowledge/experience. If not go for City and Guilds 2365 Level 2 and 3. You will also need to do the 17th Edition soon to become the 18th Edition and the 2394/2395 Inspection and Testing Courses.

Your local college might run evening courses might be worth a bit of research.

In hindsight I wish I had gone down this route and worked as an electrician's mate whilst studying in the evenings. But you live and learn.

All the best Mate

Hi Pete,
I myself live in Bedford, not too far from Milton Keynes. I'm pretty sure that MK offers electrical courses. Part time.. however.. not so sure.

If you are able to do the 30 min drive then I'd suggest enrolling at Bedford College, I've just enrolled myself. It's a great college, and financially competitive. They offer full time and also part time (either 1 full day a week or 2 evenings a week).

Colleges are usually the best way forward, they don't take shortcuts and give you all the support you need - meaning you'll be far better off by the end of it!

Hi Pete,
I myself live in Bedford, not too far from Milton Keynes. I'm pretty sure that MK offers electrical courses. Part time.. however.. not so sure.

If you are able to do the 30 min drive then I'd suggest enrolling at Bedford College, I've just enrolled myself. It's a great college, and financially competitive. They offer full time and also part time (either 1 full day a week or 2 evenings a week).

Colleges are usually the best way forward, they don't take shortcuts and give you all the support you need - meaning you'll be far better off by the end of it!
Thanks Shane

Reply to Advice on what courses / training centres in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net