Discuss Advice please, electric heaters not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have three electric heaters in my flat which, according to the fuse box, are all connected to B circuit. All other sockets and appliances are on circuit A and work fine. The heaters only work sometimes. For a while I thought it was at certain times of day they worked, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. None of the switches are tripped on the fuse box. Any idea why they work sometimes and not others? I have recently had a smart meter installed, I'm not entirely sure if this problem started before or after this, but its definitely around the same time. Not sure if that could be related. As you can probably tell, I'm going to need a simple answer as I know nothing about electrics!

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

if they are storage heaters, sounds like they should be on a separate midnight to 7.00a.m. CU. the fitting of the smart meter may have disabled them. post a pic. of your intake,meter, and consumer units.

I have three electric heaters in my flat which, according to the fuse box, are all connected to B circuit. All other sockets and appliances are on circuit A and work fine. The heaters only work sometimes. For a while I thought it was at certain times of day they worked, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. None of the switches are tripped on the fuse box. Any idea why they work sometimes and not others? I have recently had a smart meter installed, I'm not entirely sure if this problem started before or after this, but its definitely around the same time. Not sure if that could be related. As you can probably tell, I'm going to need a simple answer as I know nothing about electrics!

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Did the heaters work properly before the meter was changed?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm really sorry, I am that clueless that I'm not sure what you meant by intake, so I've taken pictures of everything in the hope that I get what you need to see. I don't think they are storage heaters, although I just noticed it does say storage heaters on the fuse box, so maybe there was storage heaters here in the past. I have two panel heaters, and a fan heater in the bathroom.

View attachment 35237

View attachment 35238

View attachment 35239

View attachment 35240

View attachment 35241

View attachment 35242

View attachment 35243

Press the yellow button on the left rcd at "B circuits", if it trips this confirms power. The next problem is it looks like the heating is controlled by the contactors.

Did the heaters work properly before the meter was changed?
I can't be sure. I hardly ever use the heaters except the bathroom one, so at first I just thought that was broken and didn't realise the problem was with all three. I wanted to blame the smart meter so I could ring EDF and get them to fix it, but I have a niggling feeling it was playing up before.

Can you put up a wider photo of the area around the 'fuse box'. There may be a timer which controls the heaters.

Well the switch isn't on beside the heater. And there is a timer inside the casing thats transparent, might need to set it. And the bathroom heater switch is off. For the timer to work you will need to keep that switch on by the heater. You can then set the time to "now" then chooses the times you want it to come on. The bathroom heater has a pull switch as well as the spur with a switch beside it, is that on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you put up a wider photo of the area around the 'fuse box'. There may be a timer which controls the heaters.

Ok, this is really embarrassing:neutral:, but I'll take the embarrassment because at least the problem is solved. I thought this timer controlled the hot water :tearsofjoy:. I think I fiddled around with it a while back and then left it on auto and thought nothing of it. Just switched it to all day, and hey presto! The heating works.

Sorry for being an utter retard, but thank you all so much for your replies! I can't believe it was that simple. Problem solved ---

View attachment 35244

Reply to Advice please, electric heaters not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock