Discuss Alarm keypad in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

keniff

-
Reaction score
Hi guys I don't get involved in alarms at all but I need to change the keypad on my house alarm, basically a few of the buttons ain't working and is becoming a pain, any advice on where to start, do you have to put it in a service mode or anything? And where is the code actually stored?

the code is stored in the panel. open the panel ( enter code to stop sounders. ) there are usually 4 wires to the keypad, disconnect the 12+ in the panel. then change the keypad wiring the cables as before. reconnect the 12+ in the panel, lid up, reset.

sorry, was not very clear there. the one you need to dis. is the 12v+ to the keypad. these terminals are marked in the panel as RKP or similar. if you get it wrong, you might blow a fuse in the panel. most times it's a red wire for 12v+

ok. just had a gander at the manual. the extreme right hand side of the pcb in the panel. it's the + you need to dis. think this also feeds detectors. for battery change, just dis. and then connect new one. check panel fuses before lidding up. sometimes the battery fuse goes without reason.

Brilliant cheers for that, I'll let u know how I get on when it arrives, it's one of those thing that you put up with for ages then I thought I will just replace it!

Hey tel, went to replace today, I disconnected the red, which was + but the keypad stayed lit? So I didn't open it but does the keypad have a battery in aswell? Thanks

1)Power down panel (cover off, enter code and disconnect battery&main supply)
2)take cover off keypad and there will be four cores used (+,- and T, R) make sure you note colours used
3)change keypad and reconnect cores/colours as old one
4)make sure dip switch is set to address 1 (if only using one keypad)
5)keypad all done now reconnect mains power and enter code
6)reconnect battery and replace panel cover
7)enter user code and then reset
8) you are all done!

Thanks for the help, when I disconnect battery the sounders on the house go off! So here's what I'm doing, power off, take cover off, sounds up so I enter code, disconnect battery and the sounder outside goes off! It's a veritas r8u is that can help u guide me?

All done!! Thanks alot guys, I just let the sounder go off, don't know why I bother with the alarm no one battered an eyelid lol, thanks alot for the help though needed that little confidence booster lol

I normally dismantle the keypad and clean the contacts and key membrane with some contact cleaner and only replace the keypad as a last resort. They normally stop working due to dust and grime between the PCB and key membrane

the reason the outside sounder activates when you power down is that the sounder has it's own rechargeable power supply. this is meant to activate if the 12v supply to it is interrupted. unless you wanted to get up a ladder and dissasseble the sounder, just let it rip. proves it works , anyway.

Put the system in engineers mode and then disconnect the 12v+ in the CIE (panel) then change the keypad using the same colour code as before and then wire the 12v+ back in the panel, put the lid back on then reset at the keypad and its all good without the SAB going off (sounder)

Reply to Alarm keypad in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net