Currently reading:
Altered ring main, now a DIFFERENT circuit is not working?

Discuss Altered ring main, now a DIFFERENT circuit is not working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dhclec

-
Reaction score
I’ve just altered a ring main by taking 1 leg out of the board and taking it to a spur (then taking a leg back), to add a socket in. After doing so I’ve turned the board back on and everything is working as it should, other than cooker circuit (A radial feeding the cooker/hob, extractor fan and a heater. After checking ALL the connections in the board are ok and there are no exposed cables etc, I’m left baffled.

I only started out about 12 months ago so I’m not sure if this is just me being stupid and naive or if I need to call in some help. Any ideas?

You should hopefully just need a voltage tester to sort this one out with a bit of luck

1. Test you have 230v coming through live side of the mcb, if not ,either as said above you have not picked up the bus bar when re fixing it underneath the mcb, or mcb has failed to reset, may just need resetting may need to be replaced

If you can, get right under the cu with a torch and check the busbar connection is definatly in the mcb, wiggling the mcb is not sufficient, my money is also on this!

2. Double check the neutral connection for the circuit is tight at the cu bar, sometimes these are loose and you have disturbed it working on the board(make sure its tight, a loose nuetral on a cooker circuit is not good!)

3. If 1 and 2 are good go to the various points of your circuit that are not working and test for voltage between L-N, L-E
(What are these readings) although you have not been working on these items and should not be the problem the results may indicate a supply in but no neutral etc

4. If youve got power going out of the cu, but no power at any of these points then you have a broken/damaged circuit, loose connection or switch, isolator rcd, etc somewhere thats been over looked maybe?

Make sure you report back to what the problem was! Lol

Last edited:

Reply to Altered ring main, now a DIFFERENT circuit is not working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock