Discuss Am I on the right track for what I want to achieve? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Moominman2

Hello guys,

I'm new here and so I apologise if this has been asked a thousand times, however, I would like direct advice and to check that I am on the right path.

So, I'm currently working full-time in something I am finding pretty enjoyable, but I have always been interested in becoming an electrician. In approx 2011, I tried to get an apprenticeship, however this didn't pan out as I had hoped, so I enrolled on my a levels and went to uni to study something completely different, as I enjoyed the subject.

Now that I have been out of uni for a couple of years, I still wish to gain the knowledge of a trade. Initially, I wanted to do this in order to keep costs down for when I come to buy my first house in the next couple of years...but if I enjoy it as I anticipate I will, I would like to make a career out of it in the future and eventually go self-employed once I have the experience and knowledge.

So, a few questions really...

What is the field looking like now that the peak of the recession has passed, and what do you anticipate it will be like in a few years time?

And as I am in full time employment, my only option is to attend night classes. Would the class below be a good starting point, with the view to do the level 3 course upon completion of level 2? After completing level 3, I would seriously look at deciding whether to take this further in doing my NVQ, if possible.

Or I may find that I'm happy with just doing my level 3 and being able to do most domestic work for myself as it is useful to have.

The course I'm looking at to start with is:

Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Building & Structures) - http://www.midkent.ac.uk/course-details/electrical-installation/level-2-diploma-in-electrical-installations-building--structures/67p700-a1718/

Oh yeah...one last question- when working towards the NVQ, what would an average salary look like? And would this go up much when completed?

Any advice or opinions are much appreciated...Cheers!

Ps...I wouldn't have the ability to gain on the job experience until the NVQ...if I were to go ahead with it.

I'd still be working in my current role full-time, so could only try and arrange the odd day here and there if possible.

Sounds like you want the moon on a stick, it would be pretty pointless doing your level two only to stop there. Likewise with level three you may aswell go full hog or nothing at all. Even if you compete level 2-3 your not going to have the ability or the skill set to work on domestic installs or your own home.

That comes from the NVQ part you learn 10 fold the amount of skills and knowledge on site compared to the classroom based exercises. Being an electrician is full on commitment as some of the lads will tell you, it requires dedication and a fair amount of grit to complete the apprenticeship. I'd say if your not going to go all the way there's is little point really. Hope that provided some insight.

When I first started I was on £50 a day before tax and that was after I had finished 3 years in College.

then after 2 years of Experience on site I got a raise to £90 a day and I was on this for a further 2 years.

I then got sent to a job that had fell behind schedule and was put on £120 a day but kept the raise once I'd finished that job.

I then finished my NVQ 3 and they've given me £140 a day but I spend most of my time on price and can earn £1200 in a week without too much hassle working 8-4.

it took 5 years for me to get to this stage but I don't regret anything. I love my job :p:D

Thanks for the replies both of you. I completely understand that I'm asking a lot.

I suppose by starting my level 2, this would at least give me an idea as to whether this was the right way to go.

The only thing I'm worried by is the money. I don't mind working for a small salary with the knowledge that it would rise in a year or so, but I'd probably find it difficult to justify it by then as I will probably have a mortgage at that point. Again, I wouldn't have much experience, so it's expected...but that's a barrier at the moment.

In my honest opinion anyone looking at a career as a new Electrician that is capable of going out as self employed and running their own business safely and correctly should be looking at period of about 8 years, this is based on approx 5 years training start to finish then working alongside a qualified and good mentor then you should be ready to start running your own business.
This is only my opinion but is what I think makes a well rounded competent and skilled Electrician that can work in all electrical environments.

Thanks for the insight. I wouldn't expect to run my own business until I was well into my 30's. I'm 25 later this year, so I hope that I am being realistic about what can be achieved...I'm most aspects! Haha.

But yes...the initial wage is the only real obstacle at the moment...

Hmm, just a thought...are you able to complete the NVQ on a part-time basis?

Say that I managed to work 3 days a week in my current role in the future, and I was able to secure 2 days a week with a firm, would this work or am I dreaming again?

This would help soften the initial pay issue until I became good enough to get a pay rise...

Again, I'm not looking to rush anything...I'd be happy doing It that way for a couple years longer if necessary.

As @LankyWill said - you need to immerse yourself into this occupation to be able to be all you need to be for the future. Some may have got by but I wouldn't have thought that they are all that they could be and to be self employed fully qualified and confident in your own abilities to install, fault find, inspect and test then it is not a part time thing.
You haven't named what you are working in full time at the moment 'which you enjoy' - I would say keep on doing it or bite the bullet and work full time electricians mate for a couple of years whilst doing your NVQ.
My opinion but I am usually correct!

Thanks for the reply.

I am with you and I understand that it's not a part time thing...I'm not saying it will be for me. I'm just trying to juggle the financial part so that it works for me.

As I've mentioned, if it takes longer to get there, then so be it- I'm not in a rush. I am enjoying my current role, but I'd rather not mention what it is.

My plan at the moment is to complete my level 2 and then my level 3 part time during the evening. I'll try to get some experience on weekends or during the week when I can/ if I am able to. When I come to do my NVQ, that is when I would need to decide whether I can do as you say and "bite the bullet", or do it part time until I can prove my competence to be on a better wage. Again, I'm not looking to qualify quickly without a solid portfolio of experience, so I'll see what happens. I won't even get to my NVQ before 2020...a lot can change.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Reply to Am I on the right track for what I want to achieve? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net