Discuss Am2 advice! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

noddy1994

Hi, before taking my am2 I read some very helpful threads from this site. So anyone reading this also preparing I hope this helps I got through my install and testing fine. However I failed the fault finding C2. passed C1. Whatever that means. I did all my tests at the board and struggled on ring final. I have okay knowledge on rings, eg. end to end, figure 8 and insulation resistance. any help and advice for my re sit be great! thanks in advance

You say you failed fault finding but describe not fully grasping testing? These are two separate sections of the test. Which one did you fail?

Sorry for not being very clear. I passed the testing part live and sheets. I failed fault finding, I grasp my dead tests fairly clearly. The reason I mention the ring final circuits because I did end to end at the board and figure of 8. Went to every socket and they all read back roughly half the end to ends or r1+ rn divided by 4 ect. but couldn't find anything.

Erm I think so, Do you confirm polarity by the figure of 8 and if the reading is 1/4 of the R1, RN at every socket. If so yes, I done all ends to ends also

I think so, I did figure of 8 and the readings was all similar. and 1/4 of the r1 plus rN. I also had a question asking why when a customer touches the motor case and bonding clamp she feels a tingerling feeling. I tested one the bonding clamps was at 2 ohms something. So i presumed that was a high resistant joint. struggled to answer why the tingling feeling though!

That doesn't ring any bells with me dude. From what I can remember, you are looking for:

1. Negligible impedence (short) but it's important to use the correct terminology.
2. Open circuit.
3. Continuity.

You are only given a multimeter, so not testing IR or any live testing. Only so much you can do with a multimeter. The faults (8 in total) are described and simulated (as you know). All you can do is test with the multimeter, diagnose any of the 3 possible scenarios then state what you would do to overcome the problem.

I passed the fault finding, but failed the testing due to being under pressure I failed to disconnect the bonding before testing Ze (apparently). That's what they said anyway unless they were trying to fleece me for the extra £200 to resit that part. They also said i did something weird with the end to ends or figure 8, but were unable to expand on that but what do you say when they hold the 'pass' certificate?

HTH

Voltz

Also, with the tests results at the socket outlets I needed to explain the theory because the anomalous test results I achieved were so varied due to the nakkered state of the outlets.
i know what your saying.

im lucky just one clip on a breaker is missing. another lad had bigger problems.

all the terminals look like an ape has been at them with not one rounded screw (good think i have a pz/sl and multiple sl drivers)

Also, with the tests results at the socket outlets I needed to explain the theory because the anomalous test results I achieved were so varied due to the nakkered state of the outlets.

Thanks for the advice man. I did my am2 at Harlow, I get a free resit on the smaller sub cats. And yeah it sounds right because parallel paths with when testing the ze. Also they want to make sure you reconnect the main earth! Because the resit is free I just ordered guidance note 3. Going to just go through all the dead tests for whatever circuit it is. I must find it that way.

Reply to Am2 advice! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock