Discuss AM2 assessment in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I recently sat my AM2 and have been told that I did not meet the required standard on 2 sections.

Can someone please explain how to safely isolate the DOL starter. What I did was isolate and lock off the MCb, selected the voltage indicator checked it was working on a proving unit. I then tested L1-L2, L1-L3, L2-L3, L1-E, L2-E and L3-E. There was no N at the motor! I then rechecked the voltage indicator on the proving unit.

I also failed on the installation of lighting circuit, but I'm sure it was fine, it tested out fine and was fully operational at all 3 switches. I took my supply to the light fitting then the PL and SL to the first switch which was connected to the strappers. I linked the commons in the intermediate switch. Not sure what I could have got wrong!

The last thing I failed on was the installation of the swa to the 3ph socket? I terminated the gland either end ran a fly lead from the gland in the DB to MET, and a fly lead to the 3ph socket from the isolator via the earth screw on the isolator cover, all tests were good.

Please can someone she some light on what I could have done wrong?

Many thanks

Do I need to sleeve the strappers?! The AM2 guide on ----------- shows no sleeving?! I just want to know if I can appeal these things?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do I need to sleeve the strappers?! The AM2 guide on ----------- shows no sleeving?! I just want to know if I can appeal these things?!

What's ----------- ? I would suggest looking at 514.3.1, table 51 and 514.3.2

----------- is a website that gives guidance on assessments etc. In particular the AM2.

If you have not installed in accordance with BS7671 I would not think that having taken advice from a third party website not affiliated with the IET or any body associated with the AM2 would be grounds for an appeal.

Makes sense, but if that is all I got wrong and now have to pay £300 for a resit then it seems a bit harsh!

Makes sense, but if that is all I got wrong and now have to pay £300 for a resit then it seems a bit harsh!

I got told by my assessors that they didn't know how the faults were weighted in terms of points. They just sent off their judgements and it was marked by others. They said they regularly saw surprise fails though.

Heartbreaking really! 8 hours in a booth and having failed on not sleeving strappers! Now I have to do it all over again and pay £300! Gutted to say the least! Surely that can't warrant a fail.

Heartbreaking really! 8 hours in a booth and having failed on not sleeving strappers! Now I have to do it all over again and pay £300! Gutted to say the least! Surely that can't warrant a fail.

I would have thought not. Not as a lone issue. I feel there must have been other things too. No offence intended though.

yeah table 51 seems pretty clear on it to be honest (and is always gonna supercede an unaffiliated website.. )
you didn't mention asking permission to isolate the DOL circuit? maybe it was assumed as part of the isolation and locking off so forgive me asking, but i've heard it's an easy place to instantly fail the 2394 so thought i'd check :)

Yeah I did ask for permission! Just wondering if it's because I never switched the rotary switch on on the DOL brfore testing at the motor.

I would have thought not. Not as a lone issue. I feel there must have been other things too. No offence intended though.

No offence taken. There was definitely nothing else wrong with it. Functional testing was fine and I've installed plenty over the years.

The AM2 is in effect one of your final exams before you enter the world as a fully qualified electrician, so it may seem quite harsh, but if you don't know the regulations and how to do the job correctly then you should quite rightly fail it.

As has been suggested earlier, 'spakyfacts' is not the regulations or any sort of recognised best practice guide.

Should the strappers be sleeved? Well it all depends on what colour they are to start with, it's a single phase lighting circuit so the only colours you can identify live conductors with are brown for line and blue for neutral, anything else does not comply with the regulations.

Safe isolation, it sounds like you have isolated the wrong thing, or possibly tested in the wrong place for the means of isolation you have used. If you are asked to isolate a specific piece of equipment then isolate it at its nearest lockable isolator.
Did you ask permission to isolate, fill out any permits required, fit a suitable label and keep the key secure? All things which are easy to overlook.

You haven't mentioned a connection from the gland at the isolator to the earth terminal of the isolator, did you fit this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Davesparks.

I only used ----------- as a guide. I can now see that the strappers need sleeving, not convinced it warrants a fail though.

Safe isolation - I was told we were to replace the motor as it was faulty. I asked for permission to shut down, I isolated the circuit at the Mcb, locked it off and put the key in my pocket. There was a warning label on the padlock. I then took the voltage indicator and tested it on the proving unit. I then tested L1-L2, L1-L3, L2-L3, L1-E, L2-E and L3-E at the motor terminals. There was no N. I then rechecked the proving unit. ( should I have rather isolated at the DOL instead? )

I took a fly lead from the gland to the earth terminal in the isolator and then from there to the socket.

Cheers for your help

Last edited:
Did you not need to test the voltage at the DOL starter?.

By only testing at the motor you haven't proved that the motor may not start up as it is controlled by the starter. The contactor was open so the motor would be dead, but you need to prove the starter isn't going to operate.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hi peeps,

I recently sat my AM2 and have been told that I did not meet the required standard on 2 sections.

Can someone please explain how to safely isolate the DOL starter. What I did was isolate and lock off the MCb, selected the voltage indicator checked it was working on a proving unit. I then tested L1-L2, L1-L3, L2-L3, L1-E, L2-E and L3-E. There was no N at the motor! I then rechecked the voltage indicator on the proving unit.

I also failed on the installation of lighting circuit, but I'm sure it was fine, it tested out fine and was fully operational at all 3 switches. I took my supply to the light fitting then the PL and SL to the first switch which was connected to the strappers. I linked the commons in the intermediate switch. Not sure what I could have got wrong!

The last thing I failed on was the installation of the swa to the 3ph socket? I terminated the gland either end ran a fly lead from the gland in the DB to MET, and a fly lead to the 3ph socket from the isolator via the earth screw on the isolator cover, all tests were good.

Please can someone she some light on what I could have done wrong?

Many thanks

mediate
May be Me or You but you say you linked the commons at the intermediate, not sure what you mean?

Last edited:
I linked the brown conductors at the intermediate switch (in a choc block) and put the strappers into L1 and L2

Reply to AM2 assessment in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net