Discuss AM2 questions and queeries 2017 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am sitting my AM2 the end of this month (june) and have a few questions as my college is being very vague on things. some may seem very basic but any help would be appreciated.

first of, does anyone know weather the 2 way lighting circuit has to be wired in the two plate or three plate method and is it done in singles or T&E. as two different tutors have told us two different things. and if anyone whos sat it recently could post up a coloured pic it would be a massive help.

second, I am paying the £165 for the AM2 'prep day' and haven't really been given a clear answer for what its for. first I was told it was a practice day on the board. then told it was just to fill out paperwork. I am confused as to why I would have to pay £165 for paperwork which should be filled out in the initial cost of the AM2. can anyone clarify what the prep day is for.

lastly. on the AM2 are you given wiring diragrams or circuit diagrams to do the install with and is it true if you get one part wrong on the install you fail the whole thing?

many thanks for any help regarding this.

Sorry Jonathan, to hear that you are experiencing difficulties in your training, I know very little about the modern training, but if you are not sure of what is required then ASK nothing wrong with making sure you have the right information, you will be the one to benefit in the long run, the only help I can give you you, and it has served me well over the years, no matter how stupid your question may sound to you, just ask it, after all " he who laughs last laughs longest" good luck so sorry I can't offer any more advice.

The prep day should take you through exactly what is required.

You need to be asking your college what you have asked here, only they can give you the specifics.

I have no idea what a 2/3 plate method is but the cable choice will be dictated by 1. The containment type. 2. What they tell you to do.

The best advice I have ever been given is this.

"Ask ask ask".

Although the principle of two way switching doesn't change the wiring methods can be different.
Another bit of advice check your spelling before you submit anything.

Three plating is when you use T&E and loop in at the fitting or rose. I am only guessing that two plating is when you loop around the switches and fit a load of block connections.

Three plate is the way of us oldens and two plate is for the new fairies when using T&E.
3 plate only came in with the young 'uns in the 70's as getting 2 cables down a wall chase was beyond their comprehension and led to confusion as to what was L and what was s/l, and why was black live.

Hi everyone.

I am sitting my AM2 the end of this month (june) and have a few questions as my college is being very vague on things. some may seem very basic but any help would be appreciated.

first of, does anyone know weather the 2 way lighting circuit has to be wired in the two plate or three plate method and is it done in singles or T&E. as two different tutors have told us two different things. and if anyone whos sat it recently could post up a coloured pic it would be a massive help.

second, I am paying the £165 for the AM2 'prep day' and haven't really been given a clear answer for what its for. first I was told it was a practice day on the board. then told it was just to fill out paperwork. I am confused as to why I would have to pay £165 for paperwork which should be filled out in the initial cost of the AM2. can anyone clarify what the prep day is for.

lastly. on the AM2 are you given wiring diragrams or circuit diagrams to do the install with and is it true if you get one part wrong on the install you fail the whole thing?

many thanks for any help regarding this.

1. T&E - connections are made in the switches.

2. On the prep day the tutor will go through every circuit and every module of the AM2 exam with you inc testing, fault funding etc.

3. If you mess up on one of the circuits then you fail the whole install and have to retake the whole installation module.

Agree with Zdb the Tutor will go through each item on the prep day. Eyes and ears very important here as there will be only one way to guarantee a pass - their way :)
And a little pic just for fun.

IMG_0678.JPG

I can count 3 switch plates on each :p

Still don't understand the terminology.

funny-dumb-cat.jpg

Three plate refers to the plate of the ceiling rose which has three terminals hence "three plate".
Two plate refers to a ceiling rose plate with two terminals hence "two plate". This method would have used circular junction boxes for the switch connections. The modern method of wiring lighting circuits by taking the L and N to the switch seems to have adopted this "two plate" moniker although the "plate" part refers to the ceiling rose most of which these days are three terminal or four if you include the earth terminal.

To expand on what Zdb said the connections are in the switch ie two core from the board to the first switch, line to common then 3 core between three switches, neutral from the board connected to grey and the other two used as strappers from L1 and L2 through the intermediate switch and from the last two way in two core to the light you take the switch line from the common and the neutral from the grey of the incoming 3 core. All connections must be srewless ie wagos, don't forget your sleeving.

You have wiring diagrams for everything and circuit diagrams for the heating heating circuit.

Take your time to read all the instructions carefully, if you don't follow the specification exactly you will fail the installation section. You can use time from the testing section to correct any mistakes.

Reply to AM2 questions and queeries 2017 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net