Discuss AM2 questions and queeries 2017 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok I get it, so the 3 plate system is to aid the new generation of plastic sparkies who may find looping in/out of a ceiling rose challenging.

Wiring through light switches with mains at the switches avoids the use of unnecessary junction boxes for things like installing down lights and outside lighting as there is a neutral at the switch.
When people do it when all there is in the room is a bog standard ceiling rose, then it's annoying!
Can make it awkward to test as well as really you should test each light from the switches if mains fed switches to confirm polarity and if the cpc is present rather than just go to the end of line which will be in the switch

Wiring through light switches with mains at the switches avoids the use of unnecessary junction boxes for things like installing down lights and outside lighting as there is a neutral at the switch.
When people do it when all there is in the room is a bog standard ceiling rose, then it's annoying!
Can make it awkward to test as well as really you should test each light from the switches if mains fed switches to confirm polarity and if the cpc is present rather than just go to the end of line which will be in the switch
Maybe misreading but how is end of line at the switch.

Maybe misreading but how is end of line at the switch.
I meant if the last mains was at the switch you would still test at the light but if all switch live and neutral to lights then all would need testing to verify your cpc at the light positions as a your cpc may not have terminated properly in the switch

I prefer the connections to be in the switch as it's handy having the neutral there if you want to fit a fancy dimmer.

yes this is the way I was taught and iv only recently finished. its preferred to have a neutral at the switch now for those fancy switches etc

OP. I had a lad do the AM2 a few weeks back and he was telling me it's a two way and intermediate system wired in singles, essentially two plate where the feed is taken straight to the common on the first 2 way switch, two 'strappers' are wired between L1 & 2 of that switch and the intermediate, and then between the intermediate and the L1 & 2 of the second switch, and then a switched feed is taken up to the light. The neutral goes straight to the light as it's wired in singles.
My advice, as from others, is to look at what you will be doing and think of a list of questions that you want to ask. DO NOT leave your two training days until every question on your list has been asked and answered to your satisfaction; if you don't understand the answer say so. You've paid for the training, ensure it works for you. Best of luck.

Hi everyone.

I am sitting my AM2 the end of this month (june) and have a few questions as my college is being very vague on things. some may seem very basic but any help would be appreciated.

first of, does anyone know weather the 2 way lighting circuit has to be wired in the two plate or three plate method and is it done in singles or T&E. as two different tutors have told us two different things. and if anyone whos sat it recently could post up a coloured pic it would be a massive help.

second, I am paying the £165 for the AM2 'prep day' and haven't really been given a clear answer for what its for. first I was told it was a practice day on the board. then told it was just to fill out paperwork. I am confused as to why I would have to pay £165 for paperwork which should be filled out in the initial cost of the AM2. can anyone clarify what the prep day is for.

lastly. on the AM2 are you given wiring diragrams or circuit diagrams to do the install with and is it true if you get one part wrong on the install you fail the whole thing?

many thanks for any help regarding this.

Hi, I have just today (29/06/17) sat my third and final day of the AM2. The two way intermediate lighting needs to be wired in T&E, and then from the DB feeding the first switch. You need to have a neutral at every switching position so the grey of the 3 core becomes your neural of the three core along with the blue of the 2 core. DON'T FORGET BLUE SLEEVING also the earths must be sleeved and terminated into a screw-less connector (Wago connector)

Your prep day basically shows you what the install will be like if you're lucky enough he/she will let you have a go a wiring the heating system and testing a rig also its not just paperwork and is well worth the £165... remember fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

you're given a specification and a wiring diagram for everything. PLEASE PLEASE make sure you follow this don't just think about what you do on site. Read the spec! read twice install once! As i have just done my last day examiner said i will know by 8pm today so i will let you know the outcome of what happens next after that. Hope this helps feel free to pick my brains for more info if you like

Reply to AM2 questions and queeries 2017 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net