Discuss AM3 Tails Stuffing gland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
I seem to have a run of jobs of upgrading consumer units. Previously I've used 32mm standard stuffing glands for the tails when I have needed to. Although the sealing gland hasn't got specific holes for the tails i find that it seals well.

Anyway I've been looking at the special tails stuffing glands. My wholesaler is quoting alot for the metal wiska type. Looking at screwfix they have 2 plastic types. One is just the gland and one is a kit with a KEM adapter.

The only problem is that they need a 40mm hole and on the wylex boards I'm using have 20/32mm holes. So i would have to enlarge the holes to suit or buy the kit with the KEM adapter. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these?

Just not sure because they seem massive in size any other suggestions what other people use ?

Cheers

Use a step bit to make any holes bigger but as stated no need to, ive just took delivery of a batch of griplocs and very impressed for the price. Quite compact too conpared the wiska sprints.

it is only the top of the board that has to meet IP4X so go in the sides or the bottom
In all the kerfuffle that has come about before & after 421.1.201, one of the insinuations, was that the tails being slightly inflexible and after termination were being strained and working lose. An example of Mrs Muggings hanging her umbrella on the tails, was one. It's suggested, that using a bespoke gland would prevent such a scenario, be it a ordinary stuffing gland or one of these types. Of course, if you can fix the tails before entry into the CU, or rear entry (ohh Matron), then using such a gland may not be necessary, as long as the appropriate IP rating is maintained.

How would you guys ensure earthing for a metal tail gland into AMD3 board; if you dont mind me asking on this thread. Would you provide a banjo and/or fly lead/nut; or scrape off the paint for lock ring ?

Do the glands come with a 40mm banjo for a fly lead?

I think SWA glands come up that size so one of those would work I guess.

Yep It could be done but involes a bit of extra work and correct sizing of fly lead. Ive only fitted one and that was nylon; but im interested in how most other people do it because obviously i dont know.

I seem to have a run of jobs of upgrading consumer units. Previously I've used 32mm standard stuffing glands for the tails when I have needed to. Although the sealing gland hasn't got specific holes for the tails i find that it seals well.

Anyway I've been looking at the special tails stuffing glands. My wholesaler is quoting alot for the metal wiska type. Looking at screwfix they have 2 plastic types. One is just the gland and one is a kit with a KEM adapter.

The only problem is that they need a 40mm hole and on the wylex boards I'm using have 20/32mm holes. So i would have to enlarge the holes to suit or buy the kit with the KEM adapter. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these?

Just not sure because they seem massive in size any other suggestions what other people use ?

Cheers

There is a version of the wiska unit which fits through the 32mm hole and will cope properly with 2 x 25mm and 1 x 16mm

tlc link:

32mm Tail Kit Gland - 2 x 16mm Tail & 1 x 16mm Earth Cables - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKTKP32.html

I'd say that strictly speaking you'd only need a proper gland [and ideally additional fixings to secure the tails] on a TT system to negate the risk of the CU casing becoming live should the tails escape from the incomer [Highly unlikely I know]. Although I'll use a decent gland in all cases.

For most boards I do id say it tends to be either bottom or side entry and i use a 32mm stuffing gland. In all honesty I think tail glands are a bit of a con although the griploc one looks reasonable. If it was top entry i would use one to maintain IP4X. I wouldn't want to use a grommet as they aren't the best and they come out too easily. Nothing wrong with a brass bush and lock nut though if IP ratings are maintained.

Sorry, mate. That only does 2 x 16mm Tails and 1 x 16mm earth. Too small for 25mm tails.

Think Murdoch may have meant these:

40mm/32mm Tail Kit - 2 x 25mm Tail & 1 x 16mm Earth Cables - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKTKP40R32.html

They have a 40 to 32 reducer included.

Out of interest has anyone successfully got 25mm tails and a 16mm earth through the 16/16/16 32mm glands. Bit of brute force through the gasket might do it if the gland body is wide enough..

Reply to AM3 Tails Stuffing gland in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net