Discuss 'Amd 3" apply to switch fuse in meter cabinet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:
(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or
(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.
NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

British Standard BS EN 61439-3, mentioned in the regulation, is entitled Distribution boards intended to be operated by ordinary persons (DBO).
This standard does not apply to Switch fuse assemblies, Henly Blocks or Isolators.
If you believe that the requirements of 421.1.201 applies to any of these, you are in trouble as to comply they must either comply with BS EN 61439-3 (which they don't) or be housed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material.

BS7671 Consumer Unit (definition); '.............principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double pole isolation on the incoming circuits and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit breakers, residual current operated devices or......etc etc. Switch fuse?

133.1.1 Every item of equipment shall comply with the appropriate British or Harmonised Standard. In the absence of such a standard, reference shall be made to the appropriate International (IEC) standard or the appropriate standard of another country.
The standard which used to apply to CUs and similar was BS EN 60439, it was changed to BS EN 61439.
The standard which applies to Switch fuses is BS EN 60947.

But that's the standard. Reg 421.1.201 refers to 'consumer units & similar switchgear'. The definition of a consumer unit, seems to apply to a switchfuse.

Definitions can be used to describe all sorts.
For instance the definition of a circuit applies to TVs, is a TV a circuit?
Similarly the definition for a CU applies to FCUs, are FCUs Consumer units?

The definition is in BS7671. As I'm told quite often, its there in black & white.

Incidentally, if in a domestic property, if you had a metal A3 CU and a plastic switch fuse side by side, would you think that would make any sense and fall within the spirit of 421.1.201?

I came across this thread bacause I had a simular thought about this myself. I contacted Wylex (Electrium Sales Limited) myself.

i got this reply:

Hello David

AM 3 regulations apply for consumer units and similar switchgear, the REC switch doesn’t come under this criteria so is not effected and can be used.

Kind Regards

Simon

Wylex Technical.

I came across this thread bacause I had a simular thought about this myself. I contacted Wylex (Electrium Sales Limited) myself.

i got this reply:

Hello David

AM 3 regulations apply for consumer units and similar switchgear, the REC switch doesn’t come under this criteria so is not effected and can be used.

Kind Regards

Simon

Wylex Technical.

Well I would take that advise with a pinch of salt, when Wylex are selling these; http://www.electrium.co.uk/media/20151123152755_0_Wylex Domestic Switch Fuse Unit.pdf

i thought it a bit odd, but my supplier fitted one when requested last year (tied in with meter change). That's why I contacted Wylex. Maybe the material used is noncombustible.

The supplier or DNO are not oblieged to comply with BS7671, so they can fit want they want within reason. I did ask my scheme - Elecsa - about fitting insulated switch fuses in outside meter cupboards.

My question: Sometimes the installation of meter tails to a new consumer have to protected by a switch fuse. Would the use of Wylex plastic switch fuse, REC 2 or similar plastic isolators, being installed in an external plastic meter box on an external wall, be defined as being installed ‘within domestic premises’?
Their answer: 'The Suppliers and meter equipment would fall outside the scope of BS7671.
As a designer installing any equipment in external meter enclosures we would suggest a risk assessment is carried out to make a judgment of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure or similar switchgear might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building'.

Nicely side stepped :)

The supplier or DNO are not oblieged to comply with BS7671, so they can fit want they want within reason. I did ask my scheme - Elecsa - about fitting insulated switch fuses in outside meter cupboards.

My question: Sometimes the installation of meter tails to a new consumer have to protected by a switch fuse. Would the use of Wylex plastic switch fuse, REC 2 or similar plastic isolators, being installed in an external plastic meter box on an external wall, be defined as being installed ‘within domestic premises’?
Their answer: 'The Suppliers and meter equipment would fall outside the scope of BS7671.
As a designer installing any equipment in external meter enclosures we would suggest a risk assessment is carried out to make a judgment of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure or similar switchgear might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building'.

Nicely side stepped :)

Lets hope this is clearly stated in the 18th Edition.....................

Like the IET including a definition of "accessible"
I got a copy of "Wiring Matters" in the post yesterday, was carping on about the 18th and all manner of other stuff, Including surge protection and standby power for domestic installations. To be honest I couldn't understand most of it, not sure if it will be any good for lighting the fire at the weekend.

Reply to 'Amd 3" apply to switch fuse in meter cabinet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net