Discuss Amend.3 compliance with commercial consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey,

I think I'm right in saying that the fire rating requirements of consumer units laid out in Amend.3 of BS7671 do not apply to commercial installations. Can you confirm?

If so would anyone still mention the absence of this fire rating on a commercial consumer unit during an EICR in the form of an observation, coded maybe as N/A ?

Cheers.

421.1.201 refers. No code or mention for non domestic installations as there is no requirement under 421.1.201

Edit.....I've a job coming up with a DB resite and replace in a disabled non domestic sensory room, it's just providing RCBO protection to each of the FCU's in the room serving the low current equipment and is fed from a RFC serving that room only.
My CEF told me it was 'illegal' to use an insulated DB when asked to quote....at present the level of misunderstanding on this is up there with bonding and will probably remain so for the next few decades as it has with bonding!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a commercial flat?
Haha brilliant! Yeah what is a commercial flat!?
No its a business unit.
Just loathed not to mention it at all as my common sense is forcing me to ask the question ; Why is it less important to have a fire containing consumer unit in a workplace than in a home? I wouldn't code the observation obviously

it's a blown tyre on your van, silly. :eek:
Funny story, I had one of those a couple of weeks ago! Mr practical electrician trying to change a tyre and look manly (But struggling like hell) in a layby only to be shot down in flames by the HSS driver who pulls over to tell him hes got his jack in the wrong place and thats why he cant jack it up high enough to get the spare on.... If only there was a changing van tyre forum.

Why is it less important to have a fire containing consumer unit in a workplace than in a home? Why does this ONLY apply to domestic installations? Don't tell me this is a political thing.

Why is it less important to have a fire containing consumer unit in a workplace than in a home? Why does this ONLY apply to domestic installations? Don't tell me this is a political thing.
You can't get better than a quick fit Sparky???

The fire statistics in London (but not the rest of the UK) showed a significant increase in domestic fires from insufficiently tight cable terminations in consumer units, therefore the response was to ignore the loose connections and ensure that domestic consumer units contain the fire that will happen.
Of course there is no shoddy workmanship in non domestic work so they are safe.

Alternatively there is more risk to life in domestic properties as people are sleeping there.

Pete999, I think, is referring to The famous ‘You can’t get better than a Kwik Fit fitter’ commercials first shown on TV in 1984.

Explain Pete999?
Spud, a while back maybe about the onset of Amendment 3 I had an up and downer with some bloke from on of the Schemes about the metal CU issue, my opinion was/is the the number of so called failures in Insulated CUs wasn't necessarily the fault of poor manufacturing, more likely poor workman ship from poorly trained/inexperienced fast track Sparkies. Hence my attempt at humor.

The fire statistics in London (but not the rest of the UK) showed a significant increase in domestic fires from POORLY MADE consumer units, therefore the response was to ignore the loose connections and ensure that domestic consumer units contain the fire that will happen.
Of course there is no shoddy workmanship in non domestic work so they are safe.

Alternatively there is more risk to life in domestic properties as people are sleeping there.

Corrected that for you.

We now have poorly made fuseboards wrapped in metal....

The fire statistics in London (but not the rest of the UK) showed a significant increase in domestic fires from POORLY MADE consumer units, therefore the response was to ignore the loose connections and ensure that domestic consumer units contain the fire that will happen.
Of course there is no shoddy workmanship

Corrected that for you.

We now have poorly made fuseboards wrapped in metal....

So why do these poorly made fuseboards seem to cause more fires in London than in the rest of the country or are all the sub standard fuseboards dumped within the M25

There are plenty of sparks installing these "poorly made" fuseboards around the country that are not spontaneously bursting into flames so I wonder where the blame really lies

Domestic installations are not covered by either the Health and Safety at Work Act, or the Electricity At Work Regulations, so there is no legislation in place forcing anyone to ensure they are safe.

So why do these poorly made fuseboards seem to cause more fires in London than in the rest of the country or are all the sub standard fuseboards dumped within the M25

There are plenty of sparks installing these "poorly made" fuseboards around the country that are not spontaneously bursting into flames so I wonder where the blame really lies
Read my last post, that's my take, you can my your own mind up.

Reply to Amend.3 compliance with commercial consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock