Discuss Amendment 3 2-module enclosure or 100A DP isolator. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a situation where I have fitted an RCD incomer consumer unit alongside another existing RCD incomer unit to provide RCD protection for remaining circuits. I didn't fit an isolator for the two units so to turn off all power to the building you have to turn off both RCDs. I know there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about whether or not this is compliant and somone (I forget who, sorry!) posted a link to a NAPIT document that advised that this is compliant as the consumer units with their associated circuits can be regarded as separate installations. Anyway the customer now wants me to refit the old main switch from the previous MEM 3 unit I replaced (impractical and bad idea for so many reasons) in order to provide a single point of isolation (to paraphrase!). I'd like to offer to fit a new isolator (I even have a few nocking around), but I can't find an amendment 3 2-module enclosure for sale anywhere, or indeed an amendment 3 100A DP isolator - they all seem to be plastic. Anyone know of any?

I have a situation where I have fitted an RCD incomer consumer unit alongside another existing RCD incomer unit to provide RCD protection for remaining circuits. I didn't fit an isolator for the two units so to turn off all power to the building you have to turn off both RCDs. I know there was a thread on here a few weeks ago about whether or not this is compliant and somone (I forget who, sorry!) posted a link to a NAPIT document that advised that this is compliant as the consumer units with their associated circuits can be regarded as separate installations. Anyway the customer now wants me to refit the old main switch from the previous MEM 3 unit I replaced (impractical and bad idea for so many reasons) in order to provide a single point of isolation (to paraphrase!). I'd like to offer to fit a new isolator (I even have a few nocking around), but I can't find an amendment 3 2-module enclosure for sale anywhere, or indeed an amendment 3 100A DP isolator - they all seem to be plastic. Anyone know of any?

Try this.

HAGER 100 AMP MAIN ISOLATOR DOUBLE POLE + METAL ENCLOSURE (MS) | eBay - http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAGER-100-AMP-MAIN-ISOLATOR-DOUBLE-POLE-METAL-ENCLOSURE-MS-/112086514879

You want a metal enclosure with din rail and door - will this work?
British General 5-Module 3-Way Populated Garage Consumer Unit - http://www.screwflix..com/p/british-general-5-module-3-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/1926g

Last edited:
I got the part number from Wylex NSPE 7500. Can't find much info on it when googling it. Got sent a pic from my wholesaler. Apparently the newer version is about two inch longer so more room at the bottom of the isolator.

Amendment 3 2-module enclosure or 100A DP isolator. IMG_0417.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I recently got an isolator fitted by my DNO in my house - they supplied a Wylex unit in a plastic enclosure and this was less than a month ago. So have they breached the regs?

This is it -

Amendment 3 2-module enclosure or 100A DP isolator. iso - EletriciansForums.net

I recently got an isolator fitted by my DNO in my house - they supplied a Wylex unit in a plastic enclosure and this was less than a month ago. So have they breached the regs?

This is it -

View attachment 37033
no they don't work to bs7671 plus there is argument that a double pole switch doesn't fall foul of 421.1.201. I would seek clarify from your CPS on this though.

no they don't work to bs7671 plus there is argument that a double pole switch doesn't fall foul of 421.1.201. I would seek clarify from your CPS on this though.
FWIW - In general conversation with Assessor - plastic may be ok in a meter box that is in/on an external wall facing out, but it's not ok if used inside. This implied (to me) Assessor considered it to be affected by the full metal jacket reg.

Any din rail mounted isolator will fit a standard DIN rail they are all designed to align at the same height, the problem comes when you want the terminals to align with a busbar, since you have tails to fit there should be no problem.
Since you have the four module enclosure you could even fuse it down with a fuse carrier as well! (Though I do not see any point in doing that)

Any din rail mounted isolator will fit a standard DIN rail they are all designed to align at the same height, the problem comes when you want the terminals to align with a busbar, since you have tails to fit there should be no problem.

Thought as much but wanted to be sure :). Thanks for confirming!

Since you have the four module enclosure you could even fuse it down with a fuse carrier as well! (Though I do not see any point in doing that)

Yes no need - smallest tails present are 16mm2 and the cutout is 60A. I would have bought a two module but they just have 20mm knockouts - no good for tails!

Reply to Amendment 3 2-module enclosure or 100A DP isolator. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock