Discuss Amendment 3 Came In Since My Last Time On The Tools in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys

It has been a year and a half or so since I last came on here or worked due to a nasty little run in with cancer and the treatment that followed. Check the family jewels lads, I did and it saved my life!

Anyway, if someone could help me with some questions before I get back to work I`d really appreciate it. Ammendment 3 has come in since I was last on the tools and I`m a little uncertain about a few things. I have read it obviously just not sure on some points.

1. Metal CU`s I`m OK with but do we have to fit them if we are adding a circuit to an existing installation on an available way in an existing CU if complies it with 17th edition before 3rd Ammendment?

2. Someone in the wholesalers today said that we had to put MCBs at 25amp ( I think) instead of 32 Amp on 2.5mm T/E Final Ring circuits. I cant find anything about that in the new regs.

Any help much appreciated.

Dont forget to check `em lads.

Cheers

Taff

Hi Guys

It has been a year and a half or so since I last came on here or worked due to a nasty little run in with cancer and the treatment that followed. Check the family jewels lads, I did and it saved my life!

Anyway, if someone could help me with some questions before I get back to work I`d really appreciate it. Ammendment 3 has come in since I was last on the tools and I`m a little uncertain about a few things. I have read it obviously just not sure on some points.

1. Metal CU`s I`m OK with but do we have to fit them if we are adding a circuit to an existing installation on an available way in an existing CU if complies it with 17th edition before 3rd Ammendment?

2. Someone in the wholesalers today said that we had to put MCBs at 25amp ( I think) instead of 32 Amp on 2.5mm T/E Final Ring circuits. I cant find anything about that in the new regs.

Cheers

Taff
they are talking rubbish with the mcb's

from the discussions on here and the otherside most agree metal boards are only really needed in domestic and a fire rated enclosure over it also complies.

if you want to be cheeky, couple bits of wood and fire rated board e.g. fr plasterboard or a metal box with the back jigsawed out

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Taffy, welcome back and thank you for posting up one of the most useful posts in a long time. Check yourselves lads.

A "Like" & a "Thanks" respectfully given.

the metal CU is only if you are changing it for a NEW CU
<as far as i understand things>

wholesales, your the one with the qualifications to do the job.

just to follow up on taffy, there are home testing kits for most things now e.g clap and hiv

there not 100% reliable and a doctor might say your clear if the kit says you have it

(the nhs pay for free kits for 18-24 year olds so they must endorce then)

Thought it was deemed to be OK to install additional circuits in a plastic box, otherwise a 2 year old rewire would need a new cu

Hi taffy, glad your ok now. You can install a new circuit on an existing ccu, the existing ccu doesn't have to be amm3 compliant. As far as question 2 goes appendix 15 although informative says "A ring final circuit starts and finishes at the distribution board where it is connected to a 30A or 32A overcurrent protective device".

Last edited:
An independent wholesaler near me, were telling sparks last Summer that metal CU's were compulsory from the 1st July 2015..... they didn't like it when I told them they were misleading people. When challenged they said that Hager to them...

Hi Guys

Cheers

Taff

What a total load of old rubbish. Lots of people say lots of things to be honest, has the CCC of 2.5mm2 gone down since AMD3 then?

Welcome back to the forum. :)

An independent wholesaler near me, were telling sparks last Summer that metal CU's were compulsory from the 1st July 2015..... they didn't like it when I told them they were misleading people. When challenged they said that Hager to them...

Similar to what the Contactum guy was saying at the NIC live north event last November couldn't accept that it was still viable to install a plastic CU in a fire resistant enclosure

I was told ok for plastic trunking but needs metal clips so in a fire the cable isn't hanging there
Said that fire persons had gone in to a.building to be chocked by hanging copper left when the plastic had melted

wish.there was a way to deleat when I totally miss read some thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told ok for plastic trunking but needs metal clips so in a fire the cable isn't hanging there
Said that fire persons had gone in to a.building to be chocked by hanging copper left when the plastic had melted

wish.there was a way to deleat when I totally miss read some thing.
its only in escape routes anyway so just common sence

i would say all Routes are escape routes, Window Door, whatever way out of the building.
But it was more pointed out that when fire persons go in to a building still burning and smoke and its hard to see and dont see the hanging bit of cable there

i would say all Routes are escape routes, Window Door, whatever way out of the building.
But it was more pointed out that when fire persons go in to a building still burning and smoke and its hard to see and dont see the hanging bit of cable there
its more for surface trunking etc over doorways and across ceilings.

cables through joists wont be a problem because long before the time the fire has damaged the joists enough for cables going through the middle of them it will be unsafe for fire services to be in there

Reply to Amendment 3 Came In Since My Last Time On The Tools in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock