Discuss Amendment 3 RCD question... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just getting familiar with the changes to BS 7671 brought in with Amendment 3. I have a question regarding Regulation 411.3.3 in particular.

The Regulation states that an RCD should be provided for socket-outlets with a rated current not exceeding 20A for all installations. With an exception to omit RCD protection for a specific labelled socket-outlet, or where, other than for an installation in a dwelling, a documented risk assessment determines that the RCD is not necessary.

So my question is this, does this regulation only apply to new installations or will all existing circuits serving socket-outlets need to be retrofitted with RCDs or omitted through risk assessment?

I work in a fairly large industrial plant with many, many socket-outlets!

Looking forward to any responses.

Thanks

applies only to new installs. that would cover from adding a single socket to an existing circuit to a full new installation. itis not retrospective as regards existing parts of the installation, but would be given an appropriate code on an EICR.

As Above ...There is no need to change your existing sockets , you would only need RCD protection for any new sockets that you fit to an existing or new circuit unless as you say the socket you are installing is for specific use ,labelled and risk assessment done

Hi, so just to re-touch on this topic again. I do a fair amount of installation work (if you can class it as such) :rofl: in conservatories for a company local to myself. Quite often splitting the existing ring main to incorporate additional outlets/lighting. Am I correct in assuming each new outlet only should be protected by an RCD socket or FCU? It doesn't apply to the whole circuit being worked on?

Many thanks

Reply to Amendment 3 RCD question... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock